Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Bike Clubs

Options
  • 09-09-2005 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi
    I have recently inherited a Bsa 500cc Single from my father, and it needs a little tlc. Im looking for a local Club in Ireland to join and get some advise as to how about getting the bike back on the road.
    So if anyone can help please let me know.
    Mobile 0857141025

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Don't know of any clubs off hand but I own a (03) Royal Enfield (also a 500cc single) which is pretty much a very slightly modernised bike of the same era as the one that you have. A friend of mine has one too and we both do all the work on them ourselves - mainly because the "normal" dealer/garages don't want to touch them.

Other project bikes include a pair of Honda CD175 bikes from the mid seventies and "modern" 400 and 250 Honda BROS.

The best I can do for you is offer you some help if you need it. Whatever it is, I'm sure I have come across a similar problem on my bike or would be able to point you in the direction of where to start. Feel free to pm/mail me.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

Here's a link to a list of veteran and vintage car and motorcycle clubs in Ireland, I’m sure if you contacted a club near you that they would be glad to help.

Just out of curiosity, what model or year is your BSA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Nice one - I love the older bikes myself as well. Any pics?
    How much work does it need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 millsie1

Cheers everyone for the replies!!!

The bike it self was a bsa Goldstar until the engine blew well over 15 years ago and with it the frame was completly bent and unusable so my father rebuilt it using a donar engine and frame from a b33, so i guess it's a goldstar replica now. I was the last person to ride it around 6 or 7 years ago now back in the uk.
    The bike is in not that bad a condition but there are two things i really need help trying to sort out.
    1. My father had started to fit a electronic regulater and in order to do this the dynamo needs to be rewired but i am usless with electrics, it is very basic stuff i know that much. So if anyone could advise or help me on that one?
    2. After starting (First Time) the bike up a few weeks ago after a long stand up and transporting it all the way over here. it The engine developed a huge oil leek coming from the chain side but only seems to spuirt out when actully moving and slows down and stops when at a stand still. Any ideas of where to look as this is my first classic bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Hi,
    millsie1 wrote:
    1. My father had started to fit a electronic regulater and in order to do this the dynamo needs to be rewired but i am usless with electrics, it is very basic stuff i know that much. So if anyone could advise or help me on that one?

In order to answer this you might help us out a little:- Are you refering to installing a digital/electronic ignition in place of the old points? And by dynamo, are you referring to the alternator?
    If it is the alternator, it might just have to be recoiled (I had to have this done on the car recently). If it is the old rectifier/regulator, is it broken or was it just decided to upgrade it to electronic ignition? My friend, has installed a little blue digital ignition box in place of the points.
    I recently replaced my reg/rec units with a single Boyer Brandsen "powerbox" which also allows me to run the enfield without the battery.
    I replaced mine because the rectifier was broken. In order to find this out, I had the use of a similar bike so we simply swapped over reg/rec/battery until we found which was broken.
    millsie1 wrote:
    2. After starting (First Time) the bike up a few weeks ago after a long stand up and transporting it all the way over here. it The engine developed a huge oil leek coming from the chain side but only seems to spuirt out when actully moving and slows down and stops when at a stand still. Any ideas of where to look as this is my first classic bike.

With regard to this, just wondering, is it coming out from the base of the cylinder? On mine, there is a small pipe coming out of the bottom of the cylinder and it went into a small tank under the seat. I assume that the bike is a dry sump, with a seperate oil tank, the oil squirting about is because it is being pumped around the engine, the higher revs when running might explain why this is only happening then as the pressure (if not just general oil flow) will increase with revs.

Let us know anyway if you need more help with this.

L.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Millsie........akaik, you're bike is fitted with a magneto.........so none of the above cures apply. Not knowing how far the electronic conversion has gone, you need to elicit a visit from a 'friendly' BSA-owning VMCC member.

Magneto's can give an awful lot of trouble.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement