Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relief Road

Options
  • 09-09-2005 9:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Well...

...has it made a difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Yeah Sligo needs one badly, the new road will supposedly reduce town traffic by only 10%. Wow, worth wating for.... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Sin scéal eile

GG66 wrote:
    the new road will supposedly reduce town traffic by only 10%. Wow, worth wating for.... :rolleyes:

"Will", "worth wating for"????

The road is open isn't it?

When I was home 2 Months ago, I did find traffic a lot better through the town, that new one-way system seems to be helping a bit, so I thought that combined with the new inner relief road should make a difference.

Maybe things will be better when Sligo's stopped being one huge construction site....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Well.............
    It was a good idea in theory but, I think there are two many sets of traffic lights on it, its great when they are on green but I have tended to get stuck at everyone.
    I'm sure they didn't need two right turns onto Adelaide Street and then another one opposite Wine Street.
    The 50Kmph is mad to stick to on a dual carriageway. Its 50kmph going into town and 100kmph going out of town.
    The 50 is totally mad especially when the speed limit outside my kids school is 80kmph (but thats another story!!)
    The signage is also rubbish, there is no sign to tell you where to turn for the town centre and its bad enough when you live here but I don't know how people from out of the town get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

The road is open isn't it?

it is, what I'm referring to is the fact that since it opened it's been indicated that it will only reduce traffic in the town centre by 10% and there has been talk of a needed by-pass. This isn't the first time that a major road development has taken so long to develop that it's not adequate as traffic has increased so much since it was first planned.

That aside it is badly needed and I have noticed a reduction in traffic on the old road (Pearse Road) into town. Yep the 50MPH sign is a bit of a downer but most likely there to keep people slowed due to the number of exits mentioned.

Has anyone tried crossing it as a pedestrian? Much was made of how it would split the town in two?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I tried crossing it as a pedestrian on Monday, and didn't have a problem, mind I was crossing at the lights.
    Pearse Road is much quieter, but Castle Street is still very busy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Sin scéal eile

Thanks for your answers.

When I was home a few months back I did notice a big improvement to the traffic situation due to the new one way system.

...if only Sligo could stop being one huge construction site...

(btw, how's the Bundoran und Ballyshannon by passes going?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

[QUOTE=Sin scéal eile

(btw, how's the Bundoran und Ballyshannon by passes going?)[/QUOTE]

Let's not foget the brilliant DONEGAL TOWN bypass, which has really helped driver's heading for Ballybofey/Letterkeny/Derry etc. ;)

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Thats years old now... Did they fix that dangerous junction in the end?

Thats years old now... Did they fix that dangerous junction in the end?

I have never heard of any "dangerous junction" on the Donegal Town bypass ?.., but then again,I personally gave up driving completely 18 years ago because of the number of complete lunatic driver's on Ireland's road's, especially the learner driver's without a clue how to handle a vehicle, who are allowed to drive on public road's, before they have passed a driving test ?.. :eek: Madness, that would not be allowed in any other European Country.

Then, people wonder why 'Car Insurance' is so expensive in the Republic, when people with a provisional learner's license are allowed to KILL themselve's and other innocent qualified driver's on our public highway's :mad: .

Off topic I know, and a rant as well, but I feel it is worthy of comment here!.

Anyone else agree ?...

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Paddy20 wrote:
    I personally gave up driving completely 18 years ago because of the number of complete lunatic driver's on Ireland's road's, especially the learner driver's without a clue how to handle a vehicle, who are allowed to drive on public road's, before they have passed a driving test ?.. :eek: Madness, that would not be allowed in any other European Country.

Bullshít - we have one of the highest driving standards in the world in this country, believe it or not. Ever been to Italy?

How about Greece, where a fully legit driving license is available from most testers for a €150 bribe?

I'm not a good driver, I failed my test, but I'm not nearly as hazardous to your health as most drivers in country's like Slovenia, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Italy, Portuagal, Spain, Greece and many other countries would be, and you know what, all their licenses are valid in Ireland too...

• Advertisement

Heh,heh,

Paddy20 disagree's with Civilian Target, that make's a change Eh ?...so do you really agree that unqualified learner driver's should continue to be allowed to drive a killer vehicle like a car on a busy public road, without having even reached the standard where their driving instructer would be prepared to put them forward for their 'driving test' ?... you failed your test, surely that must have told you something ?...

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

If you mean the junction on the bundoran site of the donegal bypass, the last time i was thru there they were constructing a round about, that was months ago, but good old donegal coco take about a year to make a roundabout.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yes you refer to Tullyearl Junction, which is now Tullyearl Roundabout.

Nice to see such a stretch of fine tarmac and redbrick get dug up after a few years and hurled to one side, while another million euro is pumped into changing the junction into a roundabout! I must have been one of the few who didn't have a problem with the layout, but it's gone now. All the while, regional and minor roads continue to deteriorate, but anyway, I digress! In fairness, the firm responsible for doing the changes did so rather fast and efficiently I thought.

Advertisement