Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A wee problem.........

Options
  • 09-09-2005 7:36am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just installed a new mobo . It boots up fine at first, I can setup BIOS grand, but as when windows(win2000) tries to start I get a "Boot device Inacessable" error.

I've rebooted into DOS and the hard drives are working fine.
    I've repaired my win2000 installation using the origianl disk.
    I've disconnected my 2nd hdd and set the jumpers on the 1 containing the OS to master.
    I've done a little dance.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple here, can anyone help?

Brian

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Is it a fresh install of windows? If not windows is probably looking for the old motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Hrm, not sure if this will help but I had the same problem with my new build. I had it up and running but Windows detected a Floppy drive which wasnt there so I removed it via Device Manager and rebooted. Then I got that "Boot device Inacessable" error at the same point as you. What had happened was the BIOS had set the first boot up drive to be Floppy then Hard drive #1 then Hard Drive #2. Two things were wrong a) I had no floppy drive, hence it couldnt be found when it attempted to boot from it and b) my Hard Drives were in the wrong boot order and it was trying to boot from my storage drive i.e the one that didnt have windows installed on it. Changed those two things around and hey presto, she booted fine.

Try checking those two things in your BIOS and see does that help..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I just installed a new mobo . It boots up fine at first, I can setup BIOS grand, but as when windows(win2000) tries to start I get a "Boot device Inacessable" error.

I've rebooted into DOS and the hard drives are working fine.
    I've repaired my win2000 installation using the origianl disk.
    I've disconnected my 2nd hdd and set the jumpers on the 1 containing the OS to master.
    I've done a little dance.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple here, can anyone help?

Brian

Were you wearing a grass skirt during the ritual dance?

But yeah, start from a fresh drive. Have you been hitting F6 when installing 2K and popping in a floppy with the mobo(IDE) drivers on it?
    If you haven't, try it. If you have, try installing 2K with the bog-standard drivers till you get logged in, and then install the mobo drivers.
    I assume you're not trying some sort of fruity RAID from the get-go?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

SyxPak wrote:
    Were you wearing a grass skirt during the ritual dance?

But yeah, start from a fresh drive. Have you been hitting F6 when installing 2K and popping in a floppy with the mobo(IDE) drivers on it?
    If you haven't, try it. If you have, try installing 2K with the bog-standard drivers till you get logged in, and then install the mobo drivers.
    I assume you're not trying some sort of fruity RAID from the get-go?

I have tried that with the floppy, but shall give it a go. No fancy Raid here, I've 2 IDE drives, no SATA drives.

There was a grass skirt.

Brian

they/them/theirs

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Is it a fresh install of windows? If not windows is probably looking for the old motherboard.

I'm staring down the barrel of that alright, i don't want to wipe my hdd clean unless i have to though, too much software to los

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭somedood

I reckon its a case of a new OS install as the drivers won't get installed any other way. But that should be no problem as long as there some hardcode mentalism involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

You really do need to reinstall windows when u get a new motherboard, otherwise youre going to have an endless pain in the hole.

You really do need to reinstall windows when u get a new motherboard, otherwise youre going to have an endless pain in the hole.

I was fairly sure I would, but I was really hoping the lazy mans approach might work for once.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

being the lazy man rarely if ever works when changng mobo.

Advertisement