Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Pet problem.

Options
  • 08-09-2005 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭

Hello I have two male chipmunks (since Febuary).

Recently I've noticed changes in the smaller of the two's coat. It's darker from his lower back to his tail and always looks tossed and ruffled. Also today he had a little spec of blood on his whiskers.

The bigger chipmunk is always smooth and sleek and healthy looking.
    i thought perhaps the little one had mange so I rang the vet, who said he'd be scratching a lot if it was mange but he's not scratching, he's eating well and very lively and friendly.

I'm putting the blood down to the fact that the two fight from time to time.

Does anyone know what could be wrong with his coat? I'm stumped. They share a nesting box so if it's a disease shouldn't the other one have it too?
    Could he be molting?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, but I feel a trip to the vet may be on the cards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I don't know anything about chipmunks, but I'd suggest that you should put in a second nesting box, and have three lots of food and drink available to them in separate places.

It sounds to me as if the little one may be being bullied. This would make him stressed (hence bad coat condition, possibly).

Put the food and drink in places far enough apart that the big guy can't guard it all, so the little fellow can get a bit of grub and a drink without being chased off.

Do they have toys and games, so they're not bored? Bored people fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

I had a second box in until last night (I took it out because it was filthy) but they always sleep together. The have a food dish each and a bottle each.

I guessed that maybe it was fighting, they seem to switch roles in the power struggle quite a bit.

They have a load of toys but fighting seems to be the most likely case.
    Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

The same thing happened to my cat. She used to come home with the fur on her back all ruffled, and sometimes bits of fur actually missing.
    It turns out one of the neighbourhood cats was bullying her. I'm not quite sure why it was her back that the cat went for though. Luckily the other cat died (nothing to do with me, I swear!) and her fur started looking normal again.
    I too think it is definitely down to your chipmunks fighting. Either for fun or for "real".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Could be the nest box issue, also if they don't get on too well the stress can effect them. If not done already put a few old (clean) socks in their cage and stuff the end with hay they will love it.
    What size is the cage?

The cage is about 3-4 feet high, long and about 2 wide. Its the same size as the one they had in the shop i got them, so I assumed it would be ok for 2? They insist on sleeping in the same bed no matter what (two identical houses with loads of bedding) so I didn't think they're fighting was too serious (more fool me) They just used to chase each other and squeak a lot but I never saw them hurting each other so I thought they were just playing. When i go to put a treat in the cage they often fight over the first one (no matter how many more I put in) and the little one nearly always wins out so i thought he could fight his corner.
    During the summer the little guy began to get upset if I moved anything in the cage, eg if i took out the climbing ropes to clean them (they have one of these each and love them) the little guy would just sit in the house and squeak til I put it back in.
    But he seems to have stopped that now he was grand this morning running around the place despite his beloved rope having been removed for cleaning.
    i'm wondering is their "fighting" or "mating" season over now or what?
    they both have separate spots in the cage where they bury their food and as far as I can see they respect each others stores.
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I'd hate to have to seperate them but if the antics of the big one are becoming a serious problem I might have to.

• Advertisement

I forgot to ask, are they male or female?

both are male. I got the little one first then the big one about two weeks later.
    I thought he'd be lonely.

I'm only guessing but it could be because they wern't living together from the start, or certain things might trigger them off. All I can suggest is plenty of food and change their toys about and lots of out of cage excercise, an aviary is usually better for chipmunks. If they start fighting on a regular basis or if you feel they are getting too rough you might have to seperate them.
    If they belled keep an eye on the wounds becaus ethey could get infected. Mabey someone with more chippy experience can help you with this one.

They are lovely critters would love some myself eventually, I keep looking at the over grown trees outside that aren't safe for our guinea pigs but that are perfect for chipmunks and wish i had an aviary to put them in, but sure I can dream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Chipmunks nest boxes MUST be the same height or they will fight! Also males will want to breed so maybe the bigger one is trying to sleep with the smaller one?? I'd suggest castration.

They will also enjoy the socks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Bond-007 wrote:
    Chipmunks nest boxes MUST be the same height or they will fight! Also males will want to breed so maybe the bigger one is trying to sleep with the smaller one?? I'd suggest castration.

Exactly,
    Two males will fight, and often even the stress of two males being housed together will often cause one or both of them, to suffer from stress / anxiety which often causes problems with things like fur condition etc.

The only problem with castrating chipmonks is that they somtimes dont react well to sedation, so make sure your vet has done it before, and if he has'nt find one who has.

b

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote:

They spent all summer with the little one trying to mate with the bigger one! That's why I assumed he was the dominant.
    Also they refuse to sleep in different boxes.
    The little one now seems to be winding down, he's still active but sleeps more, a friend has one (a lone one) who's doing the same, but the big one is still as mad as a hatter.
    The little one's coat seems a lot better and he hasn't had any injuries since that I can see, he's still a bit tossed looking but hopefully he's ok.
    thanks for all the help.

Advertisement