Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ross O'Carroll-Kelly is a legend......

Options
  • 08-09-2005 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

..discuss........

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

It's a parody. I'm disappointed but not surprised that people see Ross O'C-K as a role model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 jazzbandit

No he's a real bloke. The title says "as told to Paul Howard". One of me mates says he knew him. Think he might have played on the "S" with my older brother Fiachra.
    I think I was with his bird, Sorcha too.
    I soooo hope he doesnt read this.

UP CASTLEROCK!!!!!

AFFLUENCE!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

"Ross O'carroll Kelly is a...........twat, I'm happy to report.
    His books are filth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

Mildly amusing parody but I'm surprised at some of the reactions to it I see. Some of my friends take it as their bible :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Mildly amusing parody but I'm surprised at some of the reactions to it I see. Some of my friends take it as their bible :rolleyes:
    Yeah, visit the Fashion / Appearance board; you could be mistaken for thinking it should be under the "Religion / Spirituality" category, but it claims not to be the high temple of R O'C-K's cultist movement despite all evidence to the contrary.

I enjoyed the books btw, good laugh. If anyone could recommend other modern Irish (well, Dublin specifically) orientated humour, point me in the right direction!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭supersheep

One of the guys in my school got a henna tattoo saying "Affluence" on his back while on holidays... :rolleyes:
    Fecking royshians...

Basically, I'm not disappointed that ross is seen as a role model for young men. He's, like, on the senior rugby team at school and he basically gets any girl he wants, which is what guys want.

I know him, and theres like loads of other cool stories about him that I could never tell you guys because it would be sooooooo embarrasing, especially for, like, fiachra and susan.

connor

Well, I am disappointed he's seen as a role model. Arrogant, cocky, anti-intellectual, a show-off... The whole 'D4' thing annoys me - sure you're rich, that's fine. I have no problem with rich people - I'm probably heading their way myself. But what I do have a problem with is those people seeing themselves as superior. And that's the whole premise of these books. Just because you're on the S, went to the 'Rock, and have a Merc Daddy bought you doesn't mean you're not scum.
    (Not saying that all D4's are scum, of course. Just the pr*cks who act like ROCK...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Howard wrote the ROCK books to satirise the new breed of youth spawning from the wealth of the Celtic Tiger, and to reveal the superficial, arrogant and insensitive attitudes of such people. I've met the guy personally, and he insisted that he never meant for the subject of the books, Ross, to become such a role model and indeed icon for the young population of South Dublin. His intention was to show up these ppl for what they were - terrible terrible human beings, with about as much depth as, quote, "my nephew's paddling pool".

So don't blame Howard for South Dublin's inability to grasp the satire - it wasn't even that subtle, which just shows the level of intelligence present in these ppl.

For a long time I couldn't stand reading the books - the subjects reminded me painfully of the kind of ppl I went to school with, and who frankly made my life a living hell for much of secondary school.
    And then I realised I could just laugh at them. Marvellous feeling.

But to those who idolise Ross O'Carroll-Kelly's sort:
    Grow... The... F**k... Up.

I remember reading that in the newspaper once. Some guys told him that they had driven through a council estate shouting, "Affluence". Tchah.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ross O'Carroll Kelly is brainwashing our society in accepting a class structure that we worked hard to oust in the late 80's. Its parasitic phrase hide deeper, almost subliminal messages into the way we perceive and sub conciously analyse our fellow countrymen and particularly dublin jackeens.

I say ban this filth and send all those who worship the books to the aran islands with 6 books of which 3 must be written by either jackie collins or that other irish writer who writes rubbish about how women should fall in love in the fantasy world which corrupts the minds or young women and ugly ones too - making them thing there is someone out there for us all. Which as we all know, there isnt.

Brendan Kilkenny for Taoiseach

Thing is, though, he's not... He's satirising an already visible portion of Irish life - the private-school-attending, rugby-playing, hard-drinking, bird-scoring, roysh-speaking, upper-class morons who are such a large part of Dublin life. Just because more and more people are accepting this lifestyle doesn't mean he's brainwashing them - the lifestyle is already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

supersheep wrote:
    I remember reading that in the newspaper once. Some guys told him that they had driven through a council estate shouting, "Affluence". Tchah.

Yeah you see, that's just to show that there are scumbags everywhere, even D4. Yet it goes some peoples heads and they think it's something funny he did rather than laugh at how ironic it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Walter_Sobcek

AFFLUENCE!!!!!!!!.............roysch!

The Bread Line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

the books are funny, and its even funnier when you see guys walking around trying to be like him,theyre so pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I read the 2nd book a month ago and am reading the 1st book at the moment - I find them very funny. Makes an interesting change from my usual rota of popular science - history - classic - fantasy / sci-fi (the last one is my 'treat' in case the classic was a bit tedious...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭ratboy

Good in small doses, Paul Howard is an excellent sports writer aswell though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I just think it's kinda sad the way some of the rugby guys from my year in school actually thought they were like Ross O'Carroll Kelly (which perhaps they were in some respects, but I don't think it's something to be proud of like they thought it was) One rugby guy submitted an article to the school yearbook called "A Day in the Life" which was basically a crap article (that attempted to be written in Ross O'Carroll-Kelly speak) about a 'typical' day of a student in our school. Thankfully, it was realised how **** the article was and it was dropped. I don't know what his point was in submitting it - but loads of the rugby guys were lamenting the fact that this 'really hilarious' article was dropped. But my point anyway is that they seemed to want to be like Ross - why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

God bless ROCK, he's a funny bloke, and a brilliant rugby player. The books are hilarious and I hold nothing against the D4-heads, in fact, all the D4-heads I know are sensitive, intelligent guys, and great athletes too. Why all the resentment?
    This is NOt coming from a D4-head tw, I live in Kildare....
    Is there a new ROCK book out yet or what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I've been reading the column for about 5 years now and I own every book. Even 2 copies of the reprinted editions. I have an autographed copy of the original teenage dirtbag years book. They are so funny-much better in the earlier years, but still brilliant. A movie should be made!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Is there a new ROCK book out yet or what?
    I heard there was a new one out in November

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Nightwish wrote:
    A movie should be made!!!
    I was thinkin' more along the lines of a TV series.
    Can't be any worse than the f**king drivel RTE are churning out these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

ratboy wrote:
    Good in small doses
    I agree. I've read the odd bit in the paper, but I don't think I could stomach a whole book of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

jazzbandit wrote:
    ..discuss........
    Ross o' whateverthe**** is not a legend.
    Hercules is a legend.
    Perseus is a legend.
    Pegasus is a legend.
    ROCK is a story about a stuck up twat from D4.
    Please take note of the difference. Thank you drive through.

I would much rather hang with all my buds from the 4, than with the geeks that sit round on computers all day and have never nailed a bird, and have about 150 playstation games and wear simpsons t-shirts. That was all I was saying really. People like me become doctors, people like those become website moderators. It's true.

And by the way, talkin out loud on the bus on the way home from UCD about computers, just DOESN'T impress birds. Just so u know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

jazzbandit wrote:
    I would much rather hang with all my buds from the 4, than with the geeks that sit round on computers all day and have never nailed a bird, and have about 150 playstation games and wear simpsons t-shirts. That was all I was saying really. People like me become doctors, people like those become website moderators. It's true.

And by the way, talkin out loud on the bus on the way home from UCD about computers, just DOESN'T impress birds. Just so u know.

Oh, the irony....
    its just...just delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ahhhhhh sweet sweet irony. Never fails to make me laugh.

Those Ross O'Whatever books are rubbish anyway - a half-decent idea spread wafer thin. The fact that all these rugger buggers have made a golden calf of him make it even more depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

jazzbandit wrote:

It seems to me you have nothing better to do that pretend to be cool over the internet. You seem to be posting alot.

• Advertisement

jazzbandit wrote:

If you were my doctor, I'd probably end up dying from a stomach ulcer...

Advertisement