Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Natural Slate 1.00 + vat

Options
  • 08-09-2005 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I've source a supplier of Brazilian Slates for 1.00 + vat - my carpenter reckons they might be a bit brittle - if I was to use thrutone I would need 3,600 but he reckons I will need 4,000 of the natural to allow for extra wastage involved in fitting but at 1.21 a go that seems ok.

I've seen these on a house and they look well - a grey slate.

Anyone any experience with Brazilian Slate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

When comparing natural slate my advice is delete any thoughts about the price, first find a slate that will suit your home, decide on the size that will allow you to achieve a truly wonderful roof but one that is not the primary feature of your house.

The greatest compliment that anyone can pay to our roofs is "They don't notice it", that may appear a strange thing to say but the roof must blend with the rest of the house regardless of the cost of the slate or the fitting.

I can get natural slate 600 x 300 landed in Dublin for 25 cents each, at that price I can have any name I want on the pallets.

So why don't I make 75 c per slate ? after all your order on it's own has a clean 3 thousand euro profit, ok I would charge you the delivery and even pay the vat.

I prefer to do the survey and prepare the reports for the legal teams who are going to court against the suppliers, there's nothing like an honest living.

BTW the numbers (not prices) you have posted don't compute when compared with man made fibre cement slates.

Your money, Your Choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭qazxsw

The numbers don't compute because you're not comparing apples with apples.

From talking to my experienced roofer (25 + years) the natural Brazilian slate is a quiet brittle slate but fine once in position - hence the extra 400 slates to allow for wastage.

At the price they're coming atI'm willing to pay for the 400 * 1.21 - at the end of the day I'll still have a natural slate roof and my neighbour will have a man made thrutone one that will inevitably fade / discoulour - 20 year guarantee or not.

We will have both paid approx the same amount, oh and yes I'll be paying with my money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Of course it's your money, and for the record I do not sell slates as an importer or retailer so I have no vested interest in the type of slate chosen by anybody for their home unless I am installing it.

To get the best value for your money perhaps you might consider asking your supplier for a copy of the test results carried out to ensure the product meets with B.S.680 : Part 2 : 1971

Nothing to get carried away by if the supplier has a certificate that states the slate does conform because it is used as "an adequate guide"

Look for :
    Clause 6.2.1
    Clause 6.2.2.
    Clause 6.2.3.

Also ensure the true origin of the slate is clearly identified.

Further standard quality control / verification is B.S. EN ISO 9002.

I expect your carpenter will be able to give you a guide as to the meaning of B.S. 5534 : 1997 and The Code of Practice for Slating and Tiling ICP 2 (draft) and B.S. 8000 : 1990

As to my reference to the numbers not computing, the minimum allowance for waste using natural slate (except graduated slating) is 12.5% and that figure is based on Pre-holed and graded slates from a known source such as Wales.

I have no great love for fibre / cement slates, the advantages they do have is they are manufactured to a quality standard and should they go wrong Tegral is in Ireland and owned by one of the largest suppliers of roofing products in Europe, Eternit.

Best of luck with your roof.

Advertisement