Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work experience

Options
  • 08-09-2005 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭

Hi guys. I'm desperately seeking work experience for my course at college (Animal Care in Killester College), I need to get one day a week in a Veterinary clinic, Animal shelter, Kennells etc....does anyone know of anywhere that would definitely be interested? I was only told today that I need to have it by Monday :( Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Write a decent letter (no waffling about how much you love fluffy animals) and send it to places. Be precise and straight to the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Maynooth

I have to have it for after the weekend though....I suppose just ring everywhere and pray someone will take me on? If anyone knows of anywhere (ISPCA are full by the way) let me know or send me a PM, I'd really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Try PAWS in Sallins, or Beaufield Vets in Celbridge ... I know they're both pretty busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 rosepetal_irl

I did that course in 2002/3. Great course, work experience is a nightmare. We had 66 students all looking for work at the same time which is not good. I ended up in a vets in Meath up to Christmas until I was told I was given a bad report which the college didn't believe and I then went to an equestrian centre.

Don't limit your efforts to where you live, you won't get anywhere. I got the goldenpages out and went through alphabetically - , catteries,dog grooming, equestrian centres, kennels, pet shops, shelters, vet clinics, vet hospitals etc. you name it I tried it until someone was willing to offer me a place.

I am still looking for work as a veterinary assistant 2 years later, dog grooming salons are 'afraid' for some reason to hire staff I've heard 'we aren't that busy' so often it's laughable, veterinary clinics keep places for UCD students because they get grants and shelters expect you to volunteer for at least 2 years before they'll consider you on contract although Ashtown Pound in D15 had vacancies in FAS last month, I didn't go for it simply because I am qualified and not willing to earn peanuts.

Anyway I did a course on Holistic therapies and I am a qualified canine & human reflexologist, look out for my book in 2006!

Keep going, you'll have until the first mid-term break before it gets to the stage where they'll ask you to 'quickly' find work or face loosing your place. If you have Paul Condell for anatomy & physiology ask him as they keep a list of previous work places and you might be lucky. Remember you don't have to stick to your work day so if your Monday work placement then say you could work weekends or if you have half days on your timetable, to make up the hours if they have no places on that particular day. You can also split the year work experience in 2 places like me, as long as you keep a diary and get a good report you'll pass I got a merit in work experience.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much rosepetal, i appreciate all that. is it really hard to find full time work as a veterinary nurse out of the killester course? because that's why i'm doing the course...

still no luck with work experience but ringing and writing letters to everywhere so fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 rosepetal_irl

YOU CANNOT GET WORK AS VETERINARY NURSE AFTER THE KILLESTER COLLEGE COURSE, YOU ARE ONLY QUALIFIED AS AN ASSISTANT.

So you can help the nurse, the surgeon, clean the surgery and basically do all the jobs the head nurse wouldn't want to do. Some places may allow you to take xrays and bloods but frankly you need to do a further 3 years study with UCD or Athlone I.T. to be a nurse, hence the difficulty in getting a position after the course.

You can do dog grooming for pets, work as a stable hand in a equestrian centre, a pet shop sales assistant, help out at shelters and pounds and lots of other jobs but never claim you are a nurse because you won't be.

The certificate you get is a FETAC Level 2 Animal Care & Science award which you can use to get into Athlone I.T Veterinary Nursing or go the UK colleges, UCD doesn't recognise it and will expect Leaving Certificate results.
    You also get a certificate of comletion from the CDVEC and Killester College stating you participated in the Veterinary Assistant course. At no point or place does it say you are a nurse.

Hope this clears it up a bit for you.

But many Veterinary Clinics take on Veterinary Assistants don't they? This is what we're being told, I know I won't be a Veterinary Nurse but I've been told I will still get to do a lot of what the nurses do.

Advertisement