Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Support Your Local Sheriff

Options
  • 08-09-2005 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭

From what I've gathered from reading many of the posts on this site and talking to many people within Ireland's shooting circles, they all have different opinions on their local Garda station. When I say that I mean the Gardai dealing with their queries within.

Before you go into the "the Gardai are a pack of w*€kers" screaming match, keep it to a local level and with individual cases.

3 Questions:

1) What was YOUR local Garda Station and the Gardai involved like in relation to gun license applications, of all types? Good, great, excellent, bad, dire next to useless? Professional manner or haven't got a clue?

2)How long did it take for your application go through? Or how long since you application has gone through, yet still nothing yet?

3)Generally, what is your local station like for everthing else? Driver's licenses, passports etc. etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

1) Grand. Not a technical expert, but not anti-gun in any way, and easy to deal with.
    2) First application form was lost by another station (the superintendent's one)... second time it took just over a fortnight.
    3) Generally fine. Small town, easy-going gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

1) Not the best. Garda at desk had no idea about what I needed, the next guy basically said I wasn't going to get it. Ask him what do I need he said " I can't tell you what to get". All he had to say was the Super is looking for a monitored alarm, a safe, membership to a club and maybe a course done on pistol handling.

2) Application is in progress as I type.

3) Generally good. But the impression I get from the place is, if it's simple we'll do it, if it's not, brace yourself. The best I had to have seen was when I needed something signed and had my passport. The Garda on the desk, an old boy, said that that wasn't me in the picture. Hilarious stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

1) He had nothing against me getting a gun but just didn't look forward to the extra paperwork etc. - can't blaim him since he's the only garda in a massive fast expaning area.

2) Local Garda was again very efficient and kept me informed of what was happening for each of my icenses but it took over two months for the second one.

3) Never had to go there for any other reason!

To sum up: Local Gardai are fine but it seems somthing goes seriously wrong up the chain or in admin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Flattop 15

The local boys are fine who will bend over backwards to help me and any locals with any probs locally.
    No probs with any other type of paperwork.
    It is when the application goes to Limerick HQ that things go effin pear shaped!! The Super is basically anti gun and fancies himself as a hard ass who is going to sort out all our problems in Limerick by clampig down on ligit gun owners.The criminals can still import to their hearts content without any paperwork.This tactic is supposed to boost him up the career ladder to the park and a bigger desk for a beat.
    I have been playing cat and mouse with this sod for the last nine months and ASFIK so has the sole other applicant in my area.It is so daft that all the problems and hurdles he put in my way are cleared,he can now only stonewall and ignore me and hope I go away!Dare I say a typical Irish response to a annoying problem.Roll on the days that they have to give you a response within 31 days.

Advertisement