Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding longterm jobs in US

Options
  • 07-09-2005 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all,

I'm currently attempting to find work in the US so that I can get an 18 month J1 Visa or perhaps something more longterm. So far I've had no luck whatsoever. Does anyone know of any companies (preferably in the IT sector, as that's my qualification) that are known for employing recent Irish graduates?

Thanks for any help....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Hells_Belle

The job market in the US, particularly in the IT sector, is pretty competitive right now. Enty level jobs are hard to come by; a lot of companies with openings traditionally recruit direct from university campuses. You might want to try landing a job in Ireland for a year or so and then seeing if you can get a US job with a bit more experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

If you're not a student or acedemic then you can't get a J1 visa. What you want is a H1-B work visa. The bad news is that they only give out 65,000 of them a year, and the 2005/2006 lot are already gone. It's not just a matter of finding a job. I had a job lined up, but mine wasn't one of the first 65,000 applicants.

Advertisement