Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm ready to kill... @#%$@^% M$

Options
  • 30-07-1999 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

My machine dies. sad.gif

Turns out the power supply burns out. So I get a new one, spend hours taking the whole machine to bits just to get the new power supply in...

working like a dream... biggrin.gif

So being the muppet I am, decieded to upgrade to IE5 on win98... bad mistake.

The program crashed near the end of the install, I ran it again expecting to get the "Resume" instead it starts installing all the crap, which happens to be incorrect and now my machine won't even boot as everything is corrupted (RUNDLL32, etc,etc). I tried re-installing win98 but that only fixs some of it, doesn't fix the files as they now have later version numbers.

Before I trash the machine and start from scratch, is there anything to fix this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

format c: smile.gif

[This message has been edited by marauder (edited 30-07-99).]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

fdisk and install linux

"Programming today is a race between software engineers
    striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof
    programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger
    and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Karla

She's ****ed Hobbes, just let her go.
    fdisk, it's for the best smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Karla (edited 30-07-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

It't be cool if you could store the registery on a seperate disk, cos then you could afford to thrash your c: and just reinstall win95/98/nt...

How about booting from a dos disk and saving all your ini's and reg. info, reinstalling your o/s, and reinstalling your ini's etc.

humm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

bah dont feel bad about it.

I trash my machine at least 3 times each month and its grand smile.gif

hang on whats this?, fatal wha?...oh ff..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Yea further investigation, the registry is fuked as well.

I can get the machine to get as far as starting up. Norton anti-virus starts up but nothing else (not even taskmanager). So I'm using NAV as my desktop, kind. I select "save logfile" save dialog as my explorer window to move stuff. Just going to be sh!t slow sad.gif

Looks like I'm going to have to toast it. what's worse the @#$%!! who I got the machine off felt it nessary to put all the disks on the drive, not actual CD-ROMS. :/

SOB took me ages but....

1. Finally repaired all the files without having to Format.

2. Problem came back, so....

3. Removed the hard drives and reseated them (after testing cables). Didn't help.

4. Reseated my memory cards (did I mention I got two new ones and my machine has 386MB of mem smile.gif )

That fixed up the problem, the slower of the three was in the wrong slot, when I reversed them it worked fine.

Just goes to show don't trust the guy who sold you the machine to tell you the will go in any slot. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

thats what you get for touching IE5....

'tis an unruly beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

hobbes try geting a cab file viewer and extract the files you need. It could take a while though (and a lot of guess work). Try the easy way get a friend to copy the needed files off their machine. Either way don't forget to register the DLL/OCX's with regsvr32 (you can get this from the ms home page or from the visual studio disks.)

kayos

Get's funnier smile.gif Being at the wits end I bopped onto #win98

H = Me
    M = Some Muppet know it all.

H> Can anyone help me?
    M> What's the problem?
    H> I installed IE5 and it totally screwed up my windows.
    M> You have a virus.
    H> I don't have a virus.
    M> Do you have a virus checker?
    H> Yep NAV, latest signatures
    M> NAV is your problem.
    H> NAV is not the problem, I've had that for months and it only screwed up when I installed IE5.
    M> But your virus checker was on.
    H> Yes and No.. I checked that.
    H> I managed to restore the old settings but some files are wreaked.
    M> Format and re install.
    H> I just spent hours restoring the files I'm not going to reinstall. How do I get the files from the main CD?
    M> You can't.
    H> Do you know anything at all? Your a bit thick.
    [Hobbes is kicked from #win98]

• Advertisement
Advertisement