Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparation for winter

Options
  • 07-09-2005 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

its getting near that time again, are you going to buy new warmer gear, or are you going to see another winter through with you favourite leather jacket?

for me i have a fair bit further to travel this winter, so im thiniking of getting better gloves/heated grips, my jacket is still quite warm (even after 4 previous winters) and trousers are nearly new (cheap at the bikeshow), boots - well i have been thinking of new boots for years but i cant really justify them yet, my oxtars are still decent, well they let in a bit of water(in heavey rain) but what boots wouldnt after 4+ years of everyday use, so not yet

so it seems to be just new gloves/grips for me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

Fender extender and a brush for the end of the hose for me...

And hopefully warm gear. I might get those big mitt things that go over the bars too, like the couriers have...

Although I was considering fitting bark busters or whatever they're called, them off roading enduro types fit them... They'll look out of place on my bandit for sure but I think my confidance with regard to filtering will go up and they'll protect the levers if, god forbid, I drop it.

But most likley, it will just be gloves for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Heated grips are great!! I got a pair of these

EDIT - oops my link didn't work up there - these are the one's i got - having an electrician in the family is handy!! ;)
    http://www.bikerbazaar.com/shopexd.asp?id=3595

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

saobh_ie wrote:
    Fender extender and a brush for the end of the hose for me...

And hopefully warm gear. I might get those big mitt things that go over the bars too, like the couriers have...

i could never get them, i have this fear that i would fall and not be able to get my hands out of them...shudder
    saobh_ie wrote:
    Although I was considering fitting bark busters or whatever they're called, them off roading enduro types fit them... They'll look out of place on my bandit for sure but I think my confidance with regard to filtering will go up and they'll protect the levers if, god forbid, I drop it

yeah i have them for my bike (transalp) great for keeping the wind off your hands

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My hours on the bike will be less, mostly just commuting, but I'll need to get a new pair of boots, particularly before the heavy rains set in. Otherwise, I should be OK. Just have to remember to stick my gloves on the radiator before I go to bed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Heated grips should be mandatory on all bikes sold in Ireland...and they're not expensive, and they're easy to fit.

They have safety benefits too:
    1. you can use lighter gloves, so improving control....not 10 layers to work through...
    2. warm hands promote good blood circulation, which means, in the real cold, you won't get as tense or shiver, and again, allow you to keep in better control.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭will3k

wish i had tought about all this before I woke up this morn and looked out the window!! My socks are still soaked!! Might just have to stock up on the lemsips!

you should get a pair of over boots will!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭will3k

yeah, saw couple of folks with those bad boys today, looked cozy, was admiring them as he drove by, and me stood at the lights, cold, wet, misty visor-ed, and shivering!!

will3k wrote:
    wish i had tought about all this before I woke up this morn and looked out the window!! My socks are still soaked!! Might just have to stock up on the lemsips!

i have a load of silica gel packs in the drawer of my desk in work, i just throw a few into my boots if their wet, dries them out good

I'm planning on getting a couple of those gel heat pads things that you microwave. Come winter I'll be heating them and putting them in my jacket pocets!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

I use the computer cabinet in work to dry out gloves etc. After 10 hours in there my gloves come out nice and dry and cosy. I've never needed to put my boots there as they have yet(?) to be wet on the inside :D
    I'm lucky to have space in my office to hang up dripping gear so that it can dry out mostly before going home time.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

I could do with a new pair of gloves and boots but I'm starting to use my car now I'm I might just wus out of the really bad stuff.

I survived last winter wearing jumpers under my jacket and hot cups of tea as soona s I got into work to defrost my frozen digits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

Yeah I did the same, scald the fingers before setting out and when you arrive. Gloves on radiator overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

Hmmm....it's probably about time I replaced my jacket alright. Anyone know if there are any Clover stockists in the Dublin area? My current jacket's a Clover and it's been absolutely fantastic up until recently (it's started leaking along the lower front zip, so I arrive into work with a shirt that looks like I slept in a puddle of piss). Actually, now that I think of it, that jacket's supposed to come with a lifetime guarantee. Just how long is "lifetime" anyway? I presume they don't really mean "as long as the jacket exists". Which, I guess, brings me back to the "are there any Clover stockists around" question. The place I bought it from went busto a coupla years ago (Planet Moto), so I can't go back to them.
    Anyhoo, heated grips, wind/wing mirror deflectors, and relatively light gloves are the way to go.

Garibaldi wrote:
    The place I bought it from went busto a coupla years ago (Planet Moto),

off topic but served them right(had a bad experience with them)

I agree madrab anytime I was in there they were really rude and unhelpful!! Back on topic - I was in Bikeworld at the weekend and they had a good few sale racks with Jackets and trousers on - too bike for me but might be the right size for you guys!

Shockingly off topic but: Poor old PM. They started out well with that Alan guy (well, he was always helpful to me, at a time when most sales people would rather stab themselves in the eye than be helpful....oh wait, that time is now), but it did all go downhill pretty rapidly.
    Unless the gear in Bikeworld has undergone a dramatic transformation in recent weeks, I've never really liked the look of that Lookwell or Dainese stuff. So, any Clover stockists out there, or do I have to go to the UK again?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've had a lookwell jacket for 3 years now, not had any trouble with it. Extremely warm too, even in the harshest winter.

yeah my winter jacket is a lookwell, its lasted me a good few years with no complaints (except it stinks when it gets wet :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Well its been a really bad morning. After 3 years, I think its time to replace all my gear. The heated grips are sounding really nice as well. Think I'll look into a set for the Dragstar later :D

• Advertisement

Ok. I want a Clover jacket. Throw me a bone, here. :D

Advertisement