Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive Problems

Options
  • 02-08-1999 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

Right, got myself a new case, m/board, celeron400 and a 64mb dimm, so went about taking out from my old machine, which, I have to say has served me well for over 3 years (200mmx pentium1). From the old machine I removed and installed into the new one:

1. Hard Drive (quantum bigfoot 4gig)
    2. soundcard (awe32)
    3. graphics card (v3-2000)
    4. modem (pace 45k)

So thought to myself, this isn't going to work but turned it on and everything was recognised first go, god bless plug and play, only had to resolve one irq conflict between my modem and soundcard.

Anyway, things seem to be running smoothly except for my hard drive. It's not that it's not working, but there are occasions say in a game of quake2 or the like where the h/d led comes on but there's no action from the hard drive and this may last from about 5 anywhere up to 30 seconds where the entire game just freezes. I'm not too sure what the hell this could be but have thought of one or two suggestions which I've yet to check out.

1. possibly crappy v3 drivers but I doubt its that
    2. the primary ide cable is loose or sommen but would that not mean that the h/d would cease to work totally ?

Well, so any of u guys got any suggestions ?

TinCool

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Check to see if you have power save on your drive switched on. If there is no drive action for some time the drive will shut down and take 5-10 seconds to rev back up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I'll have a gander in my bios, not too sure if i have any of that power saving stuff turned on though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

It's also quite possible if your Hard Drive is quite old that its simply packing in.... I had one hard drive for the best part of 4 years with continuos use and it got like that before I got rid of it.

Kegs.

Advertisement