Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gluten free Beer?

Options
  • 07-09-2005 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Anyone ever heard of or know of a gluten free beer, if one exsists and can be bought in Dublin?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Jeffm587 wrote:
    Anyone ever heard of or know of a gluten free beer, if one exsists and can be bought in Dublin?

Budweiser is gluten free. I know a person who is a coeliac and can drink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jeffm587

Cheers Tom, but not 100% sure if it is. Its deffo wheat free but they use barley malt in he brewing. Girlfriend is coeliac and looking for alternative to cider and wine. Jeff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I learnt in work today that Satzenbrau is gluton free but I'd recommend reading up on it before going risking it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 powley

Jeffm587 wrote:
    Cheers Tom, but not 100% sure if it is. Its deffo wheat free but they use barley malt in he brewing. Girlfriend is coeliac and looking for alternative to cider and wine. Jeff

Wine?!?!?

Wine has gluten in it? I just found out I'm allergic to gluten and I'm trying to stay away from it....

First beer.....now wine.....what a crushing blow.

lol......ugh :( :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

No, I think he means she's looking for something else to drink as WELL as cider and wine...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 powley

No, I think he means she's looking for something else to drink as WELL as cider and wine...

O!

icic....well thanks man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Derek Doom

Regarding your question, no mass-produced beer is safe for coeliacs, there are some alternatives but they are not often easy to get:

http://www.hambletonales.co.uk/gfa.htm

http://www.glutenfreebeers.co.uk/greens/index1.html

Heres a list of gluten free beers in pdf format:

http://www.glutenfreebeerfestival.com/Programme.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Eurobeer

Eurobeers ltd based in Cork is now importing a gluten free beer called Discovery gluten free if you would like to e-mail us your nearest bar or off-licence we will do our best to stock the beer in those outlets or e-mail us for your nearest stockist at eurobeer@eircom.net

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭happy_acid_face

McHughs Killbarrack Road have a gluten free beer called "Heron". Yet to taste it though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

http://glutenfreedirect.com/

Herons web site. Its not great and the beer doesn't seem to be sold online!!
    The Heron Gluten and wheat free beer is pretty expensive as far as I know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

any movement on this ? i always knew i was caeliac but doctor says id better start following it , bad things starting to happen lol,,,,,,, i need cheap gluten free beer , has ireland moved on in the last 5 years since last post ,,, i used to get the bread on the medical card when i was a kid can i get beer on the medical card instead now ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

cloptrop wrote: »
    i used to get the bread on the medical card when i was a kid can i get beer on the medical card instead now ??

Considering that will be shutting down hospitals i would be surprised

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Was looking at beer in Supervalue in Athlone over the weekend to see if there was anything new in stock.

Spotted gluten free beer but I can't remember the name - never saw it before which is what drew my attention to it. Might be in all Supervalues.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Quite a few O'Briens (such as the one in Beacon South Quarter) are stocking a gluten-free beer... Can't say I caught the name of it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Bull and castle pub sells gluten free beer.... I dunno the street its on , im not from dublin( i just know how to get there when walking! )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

B&C is at the top of Dame Street, at Christchurch (Lord Edward Place?) and you're right, they do sell gluten free beer.
    Drinkstore certainly have some, but my unremarkable local off licence has one now as well - so I suspect that it's more available these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

cloptrop wrote: »
    any movement on this ? i always knew i was caeliac but doctor says id better start following it , bad things starting to happen lol,,,,,,, i need cheap gluten free beer , has ireland moved on in the last 5 years since last post ,,, i used to get the bread on the medical card when i was a kid can i get beer on the medical card instead now ??

Pretty sure Budweiser is not gluten free, other half is a coeliac, as far as I'm aware wine is, Gin & tonic is,
    Shop around, gluten free beer is available in off licence's allright but you won't get it cheap I'm afraid, it's expensive compared to other beer, between 2 and 4 times more expensive per bottle in my experience

There are many more gluten free products available now, breads & crackers, pasta & breakfast cereals etc, if you join the Irish Coeliac Soc you can get a booklet listing produce, wheat free doesn't always mean gluten free Some supermarkets will give you a certificate at the end of the year showing how much you spent on gluten free produce which you can claim back tax on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Pretty sure Budweiser is not gluten free,

The use barley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Estrella do a nice one. It is usually available in Dunnes but be careful not to get it mixed up with their normal beer which is not gf.

Edit: Molloys seem to do a few linky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 lexabel

Hey,

There is gluten/wheat free beers and ales, McHughes and O'Briens Offo's its called GFL, it is a bit expensive at nearly €4 a bottle, and its 500mls so ya get your pint, although its worth it and it tastes nice too and its 5.2%

McHughs also sell Greens Blonde Ale, its a bit like Hoegarden, got that fruity taste off it, its only €2 for 330ml bottle and its 5.8%.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

My sister is coeliac and has had the Estrella Damn gluten free beer which she said its really nice, and the nicest one she's had. Trailblazer is meant to be ok too.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭DarrenCroker

My dad is coeliac and he tryed this gluten free beer and he said its the closest gluten free beer to normal beer he had

http://glutenfreepdx.wordpress.com/2011/03/07/estrella-damm-daura-the-best-gluten-free-beer-in-the-world/

You can buy it in dunnes stores
    Hope that helps!:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

GFA and GFL are pretty available http://www.hambletonales.co.uk/gfa.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Scotchie

Some CarryOut off-licences will stock Estrella Gluten-Free, but as mentioned above it's pretty expensive compared to normal beers, around €9 for a 4-pack of 330ml bottles. It is very nice though.

I know for certain that my local CarryOut (Barrack St. Waterford) stocks it.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sammalone

I think that a good few Cork pubs are stocking a Glutten free beer (pils) through a wholesaler by the name of C & R Drinks (Cremin & Radley). They are based near Midleton but stock a good few Cork city pubs. Green's is the brewer and the beer tastes really good - you wouldn't know it was gluten free. I'd say if you google c&r drinks you might get a list of pubs and offies that they stock but I know they have beer in Fionnbarra, Callanan's and in Bradley's off license. I saw Estrella in Dunnes stores just today in Patrick street

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

http://www.ratebeer.com/tag/gluten-free/

good list here with ratings see if you can find a few around the shops or online

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Smiley G

The Porterhouse Bars stock Estrella the gluten free version and it is priced similar to the other bottles of beer. It tastes pretty good :)

Advertisement