Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pumping foam for extra insulation

Options
  • 07-09-2005 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

I'd really appreciate some advice/opinion on this.

I'm building a two-storey block-built house, external walls are 12" cavity with 4" inner leaf, 4" cavity and 4" outer leaf. At this stage the external walls are fitted with rigid insulation boards, not sure about dimensions, but I think it's standard to leave 40mm between board and outer leaf.

My Engineer had suggested at one stage maybe pumping the walls for extra insulation. Now to my untrained ear, anything that provides extra insulation sounds like a good idea, with looming oil crisis etc. When I put it to the Contractor he said shur why would I bother ...

Anyway, got in touch with an Insulation Company who quoted me 1700 Euro to foam fill the remaining cavity, and promised 40% increase in thermal insulation (they would though, wouldn't they?)

I suppose it is something that I could do a couple of years down the line, but if it's worth it I might as well do it now.

Any pros, cons, good/bad experience?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Newshound

my advice.
    It really does make a huge improvement but
    thats way too high a price.
    shop around. Even get quotes from companies up the north.
    Warmfill is a good one.
    There are other threads here about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭qazxsw

haven't heard of anyone filling foam into a cavity that already has insulation in it - not sure if its a good idea myself mixing solutions, etc. - however having said that I'm getting warmfill to pump "warmfill silver" insulation in my pad - (walls including gables) 3,200sq ft dormer - cost 2,200

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

Newshound wrote:
    thats way too high a price.
    shop around.

It could be a mansion he's building?

Anyways, it's not a bad idea even when there is Insualation board already in place.

There is no way that there won't be breaks in boards and it it unlikely that the sheets will all n e attachef to the inner leaf

Bonded bead as opposed to Foam though

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Manuel

Thanks for the advice. The house is a detached 2100 sq ft two-storey. I will shop around though.

Regarding bonded bead, the supplier says "we do however believe that the foam is a better top up system as it pushes the exising board tight against the inner leaf whilst filling the remainder of the cavity".

I'm still a bit undecided, but I worry about the increased heating costs moving from a 950 sq ft semi-d, so I probably will go for it. Would be great if I knew of others that topped up the board insulation with foam.

Advertisement