Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mosquitos In Ireland?

Options
  • 07-09-2005 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    I am noticing a bunch of flying insects around my house that appear to be feckin mosquitos!
    They have the same look, long legs, hanging back legs and seem to be the correct size... I am alos covered in itchy/red bites.
    I will try and take a picture of the next one I see, but is anyone else having this problem??
    Ive also noticed that if I walk on the grass in the back garden (esp in evening) swarms of tiny flies seem to rise up, any ideas what they are? Is it them biting me?
    Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,816 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

lots of small flies around this year for some reason - seeing the same thing in my garden. they look like midges so they probably do bite. also lots of daddy-longlegs.

there are mosquitoes in ireland - they've become more common in recent years (probably due to mild winters).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Possibly the flying ants like we had a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

bring back all those spiders Greebo you were killing

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

loyatemu wrote:
    lots of small flies around this year for some reason - seeing the same thing in my garden. they look like midges so they probably do bite. also lots of daddy-longlegs
    They are everwhere!
    I dont think these are midges, but these bites are killing me!
    Deffo not ants...

Dont get me started on these "shed spiders", massive feckers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Yep plenty of mossies around, I suffer from their attentions too!
    to keep em under control make sure that any standing water isn't standing too long.
    Make sure that your wheelbarrow is stood upside down, buckets and other vessels that may hold water are emptied, old tyres thrown away etc etc. Mosquitos breed in those places.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

They are Hornets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

They are Hornets

Hornets are more like wasps ad they sting rather than bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Despatch wrote:
    Hornets are more like wasps ad they sting rather than bite.
    Yeah, deffo not Hornets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

CJhaughey wrote:
    Yep plenty of mossies around, I suffer from their attentions too!
    to keep em under control make sure that any standing water isn't standing too long.
    Make sure that your wheelbarrow is stood upside down, buckets and other vessels that may hold water are emptied, old tyres thrown away etc etc. Mosquitos breed in those places.
    I have heard that Mosquitos prefer some people to other when it comes to stinging is this tru because when i was in New York last month there was alot of them and i never got stung once over a week yet the other poor sap in the apartment with me was stung almost daily. Is it also true they can transfer AIDS. I do hate all flying stinging insects, the common Midge is my enemy no. 1, especially when they get into my hair :eek: :eek: they make summer time here a nightmare, thankfully i found a spray that actually controls them last summer 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,816 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

netwhizkid wrote:
    Is it also true they can transfer AIDS.

very unlikely

http://www.galaxygoo.org/hiv/mosquito2.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Advertisement