Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No-dig cultivation?

Options
  • 06-09-2005 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

No-dig cultivation is something I've been interested in for a while. I even tried it briefly before moving to the city - just a small cauliflower patch in a raised bed of rotting grass and store-bought compost (our own compost wasn't ready in time) - and it seemed to be reasonably successful.

I've been reading some arguments for the 'no-dig' method on the Plants For A Future website (..excellent resource in my opinion BTW), and just wanted to invite a critique of the method.
    Feel free to offer your opinion on this extract from their article Vegan Organics:
    Wherever possible, do not dig the soil
    There are many reasons for this:
    1. There are many creatures and organisms living in the soil, helping to create drainage and build up fertility. Digging the soil will kill many of these creatures and break up the natural drainage they have created.
    2. By digging the soil you will encourage much more rapid breakdown of organic matter. Thus, if you wish to maintain the soil fertility, you will become locked into a vicious circle of having to obtain more organic matter to feed the soil whilst putting in lots of effort through your digging in order to destroy that organic matter.
    3. Digging the soil exposes it to erosion from rain and wind. It also increases the leaching of nitrogen and other water-soluble nutrients from the soil.
    4. Digging soil will bring weed seeds to the surface where they will quickly germinate and grow. Thus digging actually increases the need to weed.
    5. Rather than being healthy exercise, digging is actually a great strain in the back and often leads to damage.
    (taken from Vegan Organics - Plants For A Future)
    While I have slight reservations about their claim that "digging is actually a great strain in the back and often leads to damage....", I certainly wouldn't outright reject it either. But anyway, that point aside, what do you think of the other arguments?

To me, after the small amount of time I've had to study and consider them, they seem to be well-considered and valid points, and - in addition to them - I would like to add my own point that: compared to 'conventional' methods - the 'no-dig' method seems to provide comparable ouputs for a lower input of energy (..whether that energy comes from the petrol in the farm machines or the carbohydrates powering the digger's muscles).

I'm perfectly willing to be corrected though, and would like to read your opinions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

Personally, I think if you can get away with no-dig, then go for it. I don't do any gardening yet, but we're hoping to move out to a bigger place and I plan to try and grow some of our food. I'll definitely be giving no-dig a go.. it makes more sense really. Plants don't dig holes to germinate, they just get on with it.

Anyway, I'm by no means an expert, but if I may recommend "One Straw Revolution" by Masanobu Fukuoka... it's an excellent read. More philosophy than practicality, but the guy's a legend. He grows his veg by scattering seeds in "seedballs" Link and letting nature take it's course. Now, you'd struggle to get your crop to ripen exactly when you want it to with this method, but I'd just love to give it a go in a small corner of the garden to see what you get.

You could always try a no-dig bed, and a "dig" bed and see how they compare? It'd still be half the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭DSLC

Although I've heard of Masanobu Fukuoka, and read brief synopses of what I think are his main ideas, I have never read any of his books.
    "Seed balls" are something I have discovered only in the last two weeks or so, but I plan to look into them some more if I get a chance.
    Another great resource if you are interested in this sort of thing is Path To Freedom, which aims to provide "pathways for living a self-sufficient lifestyle in an urban setting". It has lots of links and articles - including many on topics such as permaculture, seed balls, and organic gardening.
    You could always try a no-dig bed, and a "dig" bed and see how they compare? It'd still be half the work.
    Sounds reasonable

All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

I think one of the reasons mankind developed digging/cultivating the soil, as opposed to just throwing the seeds on the surface and letting them take their chances as per nature, is that by digging, you speed up the incorporation and breakdown of organic matter into the soil, allow more air in, reduce compaction (which happens naturally due to rain etc.) - all of this results in increased yields on smaller areas, something most gardeners and veg growers are concerned with - you want the maximum yield from your patch of ground.

Of course stuff will grow if thrown down using the seed ball method or simple scattering on the surface, but you'll waste a lot more seed - ie some just won't germinate (as in nature, hence each plant producing many many seeds), those seedlings that do may be overcrowded, resulting in weaker, smaller plants, and they'll be a nightmare to weed around (no method yet invented prevents at least some weeds growing in the middle of your veg!). Still, its worth trying anyway!

Advertisement