Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On the fly partition encrytption

Options
  • 01-08-1999 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,
    is it possible to run an on the fly encryption of your linux partition? ie as you use files they are decoded by a daemon as you need them. So that only if you logged in as a valid user could you access the files.
    its too easy to mount a linux partition from even a floppy disk and get access to everything. I din't need hugely impressive encryption, jsut enough to discourage casual inquirers smile.gif
    Oh and I've seen exactly this done by viruses under ms-dos smile.gif so it cannt be too hard a task
    Quozl

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

my mate wrote a small shell script that will actually do something like this, his was on a smaller scale.. just his own user directory like, but it should be possible.. i'll get on to him smile.gif

Advertisement