Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours gutter in my garden

Options
  • 06-09-2005 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,
    I have a query which I'm sure someone out there can answer. My neighbour's extension gutter/eave is in my garden and I would like to know where I stand. I know that there's a term for it, but I've been fruitlessly searching the net for it. Can someone either give me some information or else tell me a good local web site where I can the info myself? Plus, I'm sure it will have implications for my neighbour when they come to sell the house, but what exactly are they?
    Thanks
    Keith

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

No aspect of the extension should encroach on your property.
    A quick call to the planning department of your local authority should tell you all you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 KeithPhelan

Thanks Dan_B.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Is it a flat roof or an apex (slates or tiles) also how long has it been there ?

The roofline may be within the boundry, if not then the gutter should return to their back garden and into a downpipe on their property.

If the roof has crossed the boundry line and is an apex then you can fit a valley between the two roofs if you ever build an extension.

If the roof is flat and has been there pre 1963 take care because you may have to allow for the water run off on their roof if you are building an extension.

There is also another "Grey Area" regarding exemption for developments in place over five years without an objection.

Most extensions built in the Dublin area before the (cop out) building regs required both planning permission and building bye law approval, even a planning exempt extension still required bye law approval.

The building bye laws were a very good system as each building had to comform to "Good Building Practice" and the really good part was each building was inspected at foundation level, roof level and final completion.

Sorry for going off the topic, I think most of the above is relevant to your question somewhere ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

rooferPete wrote:
    The building bye laws were a very good system as each building had to comform to "Good Building Practice" and the really good part was each building was inspected at foundation level, roof level and final completion.

I think a similar system operates in the UK. You have a building control officer assigned to your project once you get planning permission, and he inspects it at various stages. He has to actually witness the pouring of the foundations. And he's there to offer advice if you need it too. We really should have this over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I know that there's a term for it
    Encroachment, I think.

I'd ring the planning section of your local County Council, but don't expect relations with your neighbour to be great afterwards.

Any chance you can post of pic of it here?

• Advertisement
Advertisement