Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I replace my Consumer Unit (Electrical)?

Options
  • 06-09-2005 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

I'm decorating the at the moment. The mains consumer unit, which is there from day one so about 20 years old. It's pretty grotty looking but it has MCBs etc. (not old-style fuses).

If it was a good idea to replace one of this age then now would be a good time to do it. Should I?

I've seen prices of around €400 quoted in local newspapers. Is that realistic or is that the price before the sparks sucks on his teeth and says "It's a good job you got me out. It's a death trap!" and charges double :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Lemo wrote:
    I'm decorating the at the moment. The mains consumer unit, which is there from day one so about 20 years old. It's pretty grotty looking but it has MCBs etc. (not old-style fuses).

If it was a good idea to replace one of this age then now would be a good time to do it. Should I?

I've seen prices of around €400 quoted in local newspapers. Is that realistic or is that the price before the sparks sucks on his teeth and says "It's a good job you got me out. It's a death trap!" and charges double :-)

as longs as its the modern type, and you don't have a problem I wouldn't see a major reason to change it...

also , does that €400 include fitting , i would imagine for something like this it would be on the high side...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

if it's got an rcd fitted (wider than mcb with test button)and no burnt wires inside it you should be ok.the price is the amount you agree the job for before it starts you. shouldn't pay double afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

But an electrician will have to see the job before he knows how long it will take to do. Are the prices you mentioned specific to the job you want done?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lemo

It has an RCD and no obvious problems other than one noisy MCB so maybe I should just get that replaced. Thanks for the advice.

I was half-joking about the price thing. I just remember seeing ads in the Northside People quoting prices in that range to replace consumer units.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Scarecrowe

Had really old porcelain fuse board. Changed out CU last year for €270. The guy that did it was a bit of a cowboy though, as the labeling on each fuse was wrong! Recently figured out that all sockets (upsatairs and down are on the same fuse.
    Looking back, should have tested all fuses before he left.
    Still not really a diy job but price of new box, rcd and mcbs from local electrical supplier is <€100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Scarecrowe wrote:
    Still not really a diy job but price of new box, rcd and mcbs from local electrical supplier is <€100.
    I picked one up recently from an electrical wholesaler and it was about the €100 mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

sparks here... those prices in the papers etc.. are mainly from cowboys etc...and sparkys looking for quick money..

to do the job properly inculding any upgrading ie. 10sq's earth to earth rod, main water incoming normally done in immersion cupboardand not forgetting the gas

also upgrade of tails from c.u. to meter..possible relocate meter to outside access...e.s.b. upgrade of their end..

price for all that region of 600 to 800 euro and upwards...depends on which company and difficulty.

Advertisement