Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plastering

Options
  • 06-09-2005 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

i need to have 2 double bedrooms skimmed/plastered.

i've done a search, but can't find a ball park figure as to how much this costs.

i know quotes will differ, but is there anyone who can tell me the adverage cost of a plasterer for a day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

average cost (and this is ballpark) is around €400-€600 per day. You may also be required to pay for their labourer €50-€100 and supplies.

Some will charge a lot more, some will charge a little less, but with the amount of work available at the moment plasterers are at a premium

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

would you say they'd do 2 rooms in a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

easily, if they're any good. They'll do a room in about an hour and a half or so. Give it 20-30 minutes to go off and get set up in the other room, then trowel it down before putting the first coat on the second room, put the second coat on and trowel down the first room again.

Then back into the second room trowel that down twice and that should be it. Should take around 5-6 hours or so, maybe a little less depending on how quickly the plaster is going off and whether or not the labourer is laying on plaster as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

cool, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

what sort of money would it cost to re-plaster the front of a 3bed-semi ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

How long does the plaster need to be left for before you can start painting/tiling interior walls and painting exterior walls?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Any experts out there on this question?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Leave it a week before applying a PVA to seal it.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

Leave it a week before applying a PVA to seal it.

I think the purists say to leave it for ages (weeks) but after about a week it visibly looks drier (goes pale and dusty looking instead of dark and damp looking) and I suspect most people just paint it (maybe after PVA as you say) at that stage.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Not sure about 1 week lads, even with the PVA? We tackled ours after 3 weeks and there were still visible "pink" patches on the walls.

But maybe the PVA would aid that, what about putting in a dehumidiffier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

yop wrote:
    Not sure about 1 week lads, even with the PVA? We tackled ours after 3 weeks and there were still visible "pink" patches on the walls.

But maybe the PVA would aid that, what about putting in a dehumidiffier?

Brother stuck in a dehumidifed for his house after plastering. youd be surprised the amount of water he took out of the house with it!!..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

jhegarty wrote:
    what sort of money would it cost to re-plaster the front of a 3bed-semi ?

i got a bloke out of the northside people who skimmed the walls an inch thick for 300 euro,he did a good job too!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

Degsy wrote:
    i got a bloke out of the northside people who skimmed the walls an inch thick for 300 euro,he did a good job too!
    Shudder.
    I am not sure I want any northsiders in my house.

Desmo

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Shudder.

Desmo

Hey steady up there now, I'm only in exile here.

Any way in a centrally heated room with a skimm coat, one week should be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

Shudder.

Desmo

:D

I can give the name and number of a good guy who doesnt charge the earth if you want. PM me.

Advertisement