Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof Tiles

Options
  • 06-09-2005 10:03am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I reckon this could be one for rooferpete, but can anybody tell me where to get a single roof tile that matchs up with the one in the pic? Camera phone quality i'm afraid, but it measures 42.5 x 33.

Cheers

Image024.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

The tile should have the makers name stamped on the back, it could be Condron, Roadstone (Lafarge), or Lagan, they all look the same and are usually called either Slate Tiles or Tile Slates.

For an emergency repair slip one out at the bottom and use the old tile with a piece of lead over or under it until you get a replacement.

What I find interesting in that photo is the marks on the lower tile show what looks like water tracking back to the top of the tile, is the roof a low pitch (slope) ?

Also the tiles are very tight together, not a big problem if the laths are straight but it does rule out mixing the different brand names because they tend to vary a little in size and in the spacing of the channels.

Getting a replacement is easy enough, the replacement will have a slightly different colour, I usually take one from the bottom at the back of the house and fit the new tile there where it's not as noticeable.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Thanks for the reply.

I believe that this tile has been broken for some time, which may account for the water marks. Its placed on an extension kitchen, but the pitch seems regular enough, 40% or so at a guess.

I'll check for the name when i get back this evening.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Condron tiles it is. Checked out there website and found the exact type it is. Turns out theres even a salesperson here in Drogheda which is where i am, so i reckon i'm laughing.

In regards actually changing the tile, someone told me that i need to get two wooden wedges and to lodge them under the two tiles above, to the point where i can move the damaged one out. Would this be right, or are there any precautions i need to take so as not to damage any other tiles, such as the thinner bit that interlocks with the next tile?

Thanks again.

Hi delly,

The tools I normally use are a trowel, a hammer and my hands, the trowel to slide under the tiles above, the hammer to keep them raised up or I slide the tiles above back up along the laths.

I usually have more than one tile but even one should be enough, when you have the tiles raised lift the broken tile on the right side (in the photo), it will lift clear of the adjoining tile, use the trowel to raise the tile on the left and your boken tile should slide out to the right without damaging the interlocking channels.

Slide in the replacement making sure it is above the lath and allow it to sit down into the channel, remove the trowel and use it to slide under any tiles that may have been disturbed by using your hand on top of the tile and light pressure should pull the tile down to the top of the lath.

Take care up there, I could have fitted the tile faster than typing what are probably incomplete instructions, tiles are fairly strong and forgiving I have never used wooden wedges ?.

While you are up there try and look under the adjoining tiles to see if you have water marks that track back to the top of the tiles.

Hey rooferPete, just thought i'd give you an update.

Found out that Chadwicks hold stock of the tile i wanted, but when i rang them they told me the minimum order was 40 :eek:. So i thought i'd ring up the builders of the houses in my estate and see if they could put one my way. There is still houses being built in one part of the estate but i've never delt with them as i bought my house second hand this year although the house itself is about 3 years old. I then got a number of the guy who does the roofing on site to ask him for a single tile. He responded by not only offering me a tile, but said he'd send a couple of his guys to fit it, which is fairly class.

Now you may think that the smartest thing would have been to ask them in the first place, but i was more than willing to give it ago myself, and tbh i didn't think i would get such a good response as well. Name of the guy was Henry, just in case you know him in roofing circles.

• Advertisement

Hi delly,

Very silly of Chadwicks, if you had walked in they most likely would have given you one as a sample :D now they have annoyed what could have been a very good DIY customer.

Great to see the roofer looking forward, now he has a home owner singing his praises and very nice to see you acknowledge his good deed ;)

There's still a few "Old School" tradesmen left out their.

Advertisement