Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maplin Electronics Cork good-bad indifferent?

Options
  • 06-09-2005 2:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

ok noticed someone started a thread on galway maplin, (search maplin and you'll find it) so what do we think of maplin in Cork... Staff/ Service / Products etc.
    I'm a great fan of maplin but love to hear what everyone else thinks. Provided you don't get a "newbie" their advice is usually good and well informed. It's not like pc world where they get commission therefore bulls**t a lot, these guys have nothing to gain from sales.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I went up there one day and they were having great craic playing with a smoke machine and one of those electric scooter things. That I should have so many toys!

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

so far I'm saying bad anyway.. Not so long ago I was looking for a laptop hard drive. I got it from PC Pro in the end for around half of what Maplin wanted for a lower spec model. They seem like the kind of place that'd be handy to run in and get stuff if you needed it quickly but as with every other shop around, it's alot cheaper to buy online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

What rymus said. It is expensive but very handy for small connectors and stuff like that. The staff can be difficult to get a hold of since they will always dodge eye contact and pretend to be really busy, but aside from that they seem sound enough and theres a few around who know the stuff well enough.

I think I would prefer the staff to be on commission, since then they would be more willing to help you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭ciasto

axel90 wrote:
    ok noticed someone started a thread on galway maplin, (search maplin and you'll find it) so what do we think of maplin in Cork... Staff/ Service / Products etc.
    I'm a great fan of maplin but love to hear what everyone else thinks. Provided you don't get a "newbie" their advice is usually good and well informed. It's not like pc world where they get commission therefore bulls**t a lot, these guys have nothing to gain from sales.

I use to work for them a while back(not in cork of course) so I know that they get commision, but its a little different then pc world. If the store meets the sales target for the month, then the staff get a percentage of whatever they get after that.

As far as the products go, some where good but we sold a lot a crap too. Its all made in china for very small money and they don't really stock anything of a known brand e.g. Sony, Philips, Panasonic, Intel, Toshiba etc.

Have a close look at what they sell, for example some of the security cameras we sold for 249 euro, could be found on ebay for around 30 including shipping, and there is lots of examples like that. But PC World are just as bad.

The only thing I really got there whare cdr, dvdr and things that can't be shipped easilly.

Just make sure you keep the receipt cause you might need it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

rymus wrote:
    They seem like the kind of place that'd be handy to run in and get stuff if you needed it quickly but as with every other shop around, it's alot cheaper to buy online.
    10/10 - wanted a 2.5HDD case and they wanted 50notes:eek: got it for 12online? Very handy for gear that specific and if you have the ccat. - its like the Argos one "a good bathroom read"

• Advertisement
Advertisement