Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G.O.A.T to retire

Options
  • 05-09-2005 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

Jerry Rice - the "Greatest Of All Time" is to retire.

Link
    Jerry Rice is calling it a career.

The future Hall of Fame receiver is to announce his retirement at a Monday afternoon news conference, ESPN's Andrea Kremer

Rice, who met with Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan earlier in the day, was informed he was not going to be Denver's No. 3 receiver and possibly would not be active for every game. After learning of that role, Rice decided he would rather retire, according to Kremer.

When the Broncos cut down their roster to 53 players on Saturday, the 42-year-old Rice made the squad, but knew he potentially could be Denver's last option at receiver.

Darius Watts' strong performance in Friday night's 30-21 preseason victory over Arizona won him the No. 3 job behind Rod Smith and Ashley Lelie. Rice had moved ahead of Watts on the depth chart earlier in camp, but Watts' recent push changed the team's thinking.

In fact, Charlie Adams is expected to challenge Watts for the No. 3 job. Adams has been cut a couple times, and he's catching the ball well after getting contact.

Rice signed with Denver this summer in hopes of finishing his career as a backup with the Broncos. He wanted to be the team's No. 3 receiver.

"That was a must for him," Rice's agent, Jim Steiner, told The Associated Press on Sunday.

Workers at the hotel where Rice has stayed since he signed with Denver -- a golf resort close to the Broncos facility -- said Rice's golf clubs were gone, and he checked out of the hotel late last week.

Denver kept six receivers on its final roster, including Rice, Darius Watts, Charlie Adams and Todd Devoe.

After Denver's final preseason game Friday, Rice told the Denver Post: "Those guys deserve to be on the field. They worked real hard. The thing is, I'm going to hold my head high if it doesn't work out."

It's been a long one and a good one, fair play to the guy for sticking it out so long.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Legend, hope he stays on in the game as a coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Should have retired a few years ago.

A man that great shouldn't have ended his career playing 4th/5th string.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 dwayne

BizzyC wrote:
    Should have retired a few years ago.

A man that great shouldn't have ended his career playing 4th/5th string.
    Last season was the only year of his career where he didn't significantly contribute. He deserved to stay in the game as long as he wished. He wanted to go out the way he did, and it in no way tarnishes his stunning career.

And what's with this GOAT thing? Nobody ever called him the GOAT to my knowledge until recently.....dunno if I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

He's always been the GOAT, for as long as I can remember anyway.
    They dont usually say "GOAT" though, that's just how it's written.

I think he should have retired after Oakland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

BizzyC wrote:

Bah! He played well for Seattle last year. Did you see that one-handed TD he caught against (I think it was) Green Bay? Unreal. He was the rock in a receiving corps that was plauged with drops. Remember how Seattle got knocked out last year? Remember the dropped pass in the endzone on 4th down in the playoffs? There's no way Jerry woulda dropped that.
    He may have been old and missing the explosive speed that once made him so dangerous, but he still had the safest hands in football. He retired now because he wasn't guaranteed playing time in every game. That's fair enough. But after Oakland (and remember, a lot of people said he should have retired BEFORE Oakland) he was still able to hold down a spot as the No 3 WR in a playoff team. He still got game time and he still made plays.

He didn't end his career playing 4th/5th string. He retired the moment he realised that he would not be 3rd string or higher. And fair play to him.

Greatest of All Time? Definitely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 dwayne

BizzyC wrote:
    He's always been the GOAT, for as long as I can remember anyway.
    They dont usually say "GOAT" though, that's just how it's written.

Well, he's been the greatest for a very long time now. But I can tell you....

I've seen G.O.A.T. written for LL Cool J and the like, but it's only a recent phenomenon for Jerry, as far as I can tell.

Advertisement