Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bernese Mountain Dog Pup

Options
  • 05-09-2005 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭

Has anyone any idea where i could get a Bernese Mountain Dog Pup anywhere in the country?

Somewhere near the west would be great but i think i may be hoping for a miracle, any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

I know these gorgeous guys well, but not from Ireland, they are sorta like a black and tan cross between a cocker spaniel and a st bernard :D

I don't think you can buy them in Ireland though. The only time I heard of one here it was a pup that had gone missing from Dublin 4 and I think it was brought in from England originally, not only was it a very valuable and expensive dog, but the people were heartbroken.

In a nutshell, those are the disadvantages of this breed, they are valuable, expensive thief magnets.

But if you still want one I think you'll have to pop over to England to get him.

...and you might be lucky to get one there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Ann Elk

Cheers for the advice, i got onto www.ikc.ie and foud a listing for the Bernese Mountain dog club which is based in the North, I'm gonna try contact them and see what the story is - ideally i'd love to get one as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

asap ...never a good idea ...

Take your time, read up on the breed and, more importantly, read up on good breeders.

Berners are a fashionable breed at the moment ...inviting people to breed who shouldn't.

Also the breed itself has evolved towards gigantism ...resulting in elbow and hip dysplasia, weak hearts and a rake of other illnesses all conspiring to average lifespans of only 5 - 7 years.

So choose wisely.

PS ..this is a generalisation. I am not specifically aware of any Irish or other breeders who are either good or bad ...but the breed itself is definetly going downhill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

There is a breeder in co. Limerick, he also breeds cocker spaniels. I think he is the main man in Ireland for cocker spaniels as I got his name on the English web site for them.

Advertisement