Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaking shower

Options
  • 05-09-2005 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi guys
    I have a bit of a problem, I have been living in my apartment for about a month now and I have just noticed that I have a bad shower leek.
    The only reason I noticed was because my brand new laminate floors are starting to warp. Anyway, I'm not a plumber but I do know a bit when it comes to DIY. First of all the waste pipe and the inlet pipes are not leaking, so my next step was to re apply silicone around the edging, and it is still leaking just as bad. Somebody told me that it could be leaking through the tiles! is that possible? can much leek through? and if so what can be done about it? Is there anything else it could be? Does anybody here know of a good plumber that's not going to rip off a cash strung first time buyer in Fairview

regards
    Freddie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

I had this issue last week (another probloem with me new house.)

What I did was to apply water in different part of the shower and then see if the was leaking.

Started in the corners then went higher until the knobs.

I foudnd leaks in several places...

Basically the tiles outside the shower unit were not sealed properly between the wall and the floor.
    There was a small amout of leaking fron the h/c knob as there was a large hole behind this.

Finally the biggie was that the plug hole was not sealed properly by the plummer.

What type of tiles do you have? certain tiles have to sealed (usually terracota) but I would have thought that bathroom tiles would be waterproof already.
    Garyh3

Garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭freddie

sorry, I meant to say the Grout not the tiles. I am going to try directing the water to different areas tonight but at this stage I really think it is the grout! problems problems problems! I cannot see any holes/cracks where water can escape from, I think it has to be the grout!

thanks for your quick reply
    anybody else?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

What colour grout do you have ?

If its a dark grout why not try a water seal product, the stuff that can be brushed onto bricK. Get a small brush and put it onto the grout. I suppose if its white grout you could try the caulk gun and run your finger with the stuff onto the grout......

Ive never heard of grout letting through water. If its a lot of water then I would not think its the grout unles you have large gaps between the tiles.

Hope you find a solution

Garyh3

Advertisement