Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neil gaimans American Gods

Options
  • 04-09-2005 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

was just wondering if anyone else has read this and what they thought of it?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I have read this book twice now and I will defiantely read it again. I loved the idea behind it and as I have quite a keen interest in mythology that added another layer of enjoyment for me.

It has a good story that keeps you compelled until the end. I loved the main character and really empathised with him.

I can't say anymore without giving away the plot but it is a fantastic book...READ IT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭pukey

have done. it's legend. the sequel is out in a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Yeah I've read it. Excellent stuff.

It was actually pretty cool cos before I read it I'd actually been to the House on the Rock that they go to in the book, the place with the giant carousel. Amazing place.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Have to admit I wasn't that impressed by it. The story is good enough and Gaiman's interest in mythology is made quite obvious throughout, which is a good thing - but it still felt too much like Gaiman trying to write a Stephen King novel. I wouldn't bother reading it again, because there were some parts I really enjoyed and other parts I struggled to keep my eyes open for. It felt too much like it was catering to an american audience, in some way - I can't really point at specific parts (or even characters) and say "that, for example" because I gave my copy away.

Qualifiers I should probably add here : I used to quite like a bit of Stephen King, but nothing in the last 10 years or so has done it for me. I'm also somethign of a King heretic in that I don't have any interest in the Dark Tower series. I have also read Books of Magic and The Sandman, the two graphic novel series that Gaiman is probably best known for, and quite enjoyed them. Make of that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Quite good - but seemed to cover some of the same ground as Tim Powers recent books. Also a pretty cool nod to the Blue Oyster Cult's excellent song "Harvest Moon".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Fence

I read it a while back. Really enjoyed it, even bought a copy. But haven't managed to reread it yet. Probably will before I get to Anansi Boys, which is Gaiman's new book. Although set in the same general 'verse as AG I don't think it is actually a sequel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Yeah I read an interview with Gaiman where he says Anansi Boys isn't a sequel to American Gods, but it set in the same universe.

The only true sequel to AG, he said, is a novella included in one of those "Legends" collections.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

Quite good - but seemed to cover some of the same ground as Tim Powers recent books.

Excellent, always nice to find a fan of Powers.

Respect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

This is my favourite book of all time. Brilliant. Read Anansi Boys too. It's not a sequel but there is a connection as Anansi is mentioned in American Gods.

I'm looking forward to reading it again sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Bought American Gods in WH Smith for £2.99 :D I thought it was really good although like Fysh I found it tough going in parts.

It didn't put me off buying Neverwhere at Asda (£1.50 special :D) and I have to say I think that Neverwhere is an altogether better book.

That said, I'd recommend American Gods to anyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement