Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor oil boiler questions

Options
  • 04-09-2005 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I have an indoor Grant Euroflame oil boiler with a Minor 1 burner.

I normally each year service the burner section myself...replace the nozzle, clean the electrodes, set the gap etc. I've even gone as far some times replacing the main bearing, pump, coil.

But I've never gone inside the boiler and cleaned out the baffles. I was always told that if you don't put them back in the right way, then you're screwed. SO I decided this year to pay for a service and get the boiler & burner done all at once. When the guy called, he told me they don't touch the minor 1 burners anymore due to the cover that surrounds them. They had one of their guys service one once, put the cover back on and he didn't realise the braided oil feed hose had a small leak. Owner went away on holidays and they had a right mess on return. They recommend to replace them with a new style Rielo burner that has no box cover and therefore the hose can be seen. I thought load of boll1x....they should still check for oil leak before putting the box on.

Anyway, he quoted €490 for the new burner and service. So I said I'd try the burner service again myself and see if I can get someone to do the baffles. €80 to clean the baffles for 5 min work....u must be joking.

So has anyone removed/cleaned boiler baffles before? I have the booklet for the unit and it shows 4 baffles and in their correct order, so I can't see it to be too difficult.

Only thing is the wife has told me that I better not use her dyson to clean them so can they be just brushed clean?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

The only joke is the five minute part mate. 80 euro is about standard, though my brother does full services for 60euro. Also i don't blame the guy for not wanting to service a old part liek that. probably got the arse sued off him

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

what's the difference between servicing a burner with a box as opposed to one without. They basically have all the same parts except one has a box that encloses the burner, like mine

Even I'd check my braided line for leaks before I'd close it up...if it leaks, then I just replace it. It's not as if those hoses are like hens teeth...

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

i've cleaned loads of grant boilers and it ain't rocket science to put the baffles back in correctly. You really should open it up and clean it out. If you have been servicing the burner on a regular basis it won't be so bad in there. The baffles really can't be put back in wrong, the only thing to watch out for is that you seat them back in fully so that they don't fall over. If you were worried you could always check that they stayed in place after a couple of runs.

Try and pick up a second hand vacuum though as the soot it dirty stuff.

Advertisement