Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarms

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

A Meta Alarm was recommended to me... but at 400 euros, supply and fit, its not cheap but apparently its the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

If you're going to spend a big chunk of change, make sure the alarm you're buying is recognised by the insurer so you get a discount for it. AFAIK "Thatcham Approved" is the key phrase. Check with the insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Cheers for the tip but €400 is way outta my league. i was thinking more aboutthe €100 mark if thats possible!! all i want is something that beeps - something to wake me up if someone is trying to rob it outside my house at night time. i dont want a immobiliser or anything like that, they're too expensive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

I've just ordered an alarm from http://www.kryptonalarms.com they seem to be pretty good (even having a starting your bike from your keyring!) and they're about your budget too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,102 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Acumen alarms are cheap and good value, I had one on my previous bike and got it from the Bike Tyre Co. in Fairview, it cost about €150 fitted IIRC. Makes a noise, flashes indicators, basic immobiliser and remote control.

Most of the expensive insurance-approved alarms are a right royal pain in the hole, auto-arming when you stop to refuel, etc. I've also heard of way too many people having problems with them, including being immobilised in the middle of nowhere.

An alarm is useless unless you're there to hear it, so for what you want the Acumen should be fine.

Edit: You might be better off spending that money on getting a good ground anchor installed. Then get a heavy lock and chain (if it's too big to bring with you, leave one at home and one in work), these are much cheaper in a locksmiths than in a bike shop.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
Advertisement