Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle Show, NEC 29th Oct - 6th Nov

Options
  • 02-09-2005 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭

UK, National Motorcycle show is on the above dates in Birmingham.
    Essentially a ten minute (all indoors) walk from the airport, it couldn't be more accessible.
    Well worth the day trip with flights at €1 each way at the moment.
    Every new bike including the new launch bikes to have sit on, kick the tyres and a good chance to pick up some end of season gear on the cheap, and plenty of events, hot birds an dat to divert you attention.

Cassiel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Top tip, cheers....
    Aer Lingus seems to be coming out at around 20 euro cheaper than RyanAir..

Here's the show's URL: http://www.motorcycleshow.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

Jaysus.. I think I might head over..
    Anyone know any cheap b&bs around?
    The ones there on the site seem to be fair expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

Look for hostels. cheaper again and when your out of your head after spending the night in the pub you don't mind. collaspe on a bunk, wake up, shower airport. =]

Or sleep at the airport. =] Properly prepared you can be quicte comfortable in an airport. Safe, Secure and Free.

Breakfast can be expensive though...

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Long story short: go for the day it's long enough really.

I went to the NEC last year. Booked the flights a few months in advance as I wanted to be sure; birthday treat for the aul' fella.
    Out of bed at 5am. Ryanair flights over. 120 yoyos for 2 including taxes. We arrived in Birmingham by 7:30. Got breakfast in an airport restaurant (not cheap, about 7-8 sterling). It was about a 20 minute walk with the da, but then he'd had a heart op a week before.
    Doors opened at 9:30. Picked up stand guide on the way in. Walked around the whole thing to get an idea of what to spend time on. Took an hour :eek: About 4-5 times bigger than the RDS, I'd reckon. There was some stunt bike stuff going on every hour. Recommended and only 2 quid. Good entertainment. Got to sit on all the bikes I wanted to. Except the Long Way Round GS ;) That was off limits.
    There were bargains to be had, on tyres, clothes, accessories. A lot of the people on our flight out came back that night. It was early in the week, Mon/Tues I think, to avoid the huuuge crowds that I hear normally turn up later in the week.
    One thing to watch out for on the way back is buying stuff that isn't hand-luggage friendly. I'd bought a bag of goodies from a RiDE. RiDE rep that is in the tight figure hugging catsuits. Aaahh. But I digress. I didn't look in the bag, leaving that for later and airport security were a bit wary of a 3 foot cable lock. FFS, what next? Me da had a penknife that Dublin airport checks didn't spot but the lads in Birmingham allowed him to get an envelope and post it home. Which was decent enough I suppose.

The flight home was about 1930 which gave us time to grab some grub in the airport again. Back at my house by 9pm. A long day, but worth it. I'm not so sure if I'll this year due to work commitments. Next year, def-finitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

Yeah I was thinking of going for just the day alright.
    Hopefully the GF will put up with me for that time ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

Monday the 31st is the only day Ryanair and Aer Lingus have a morning flight leaving Dublin @ 09.30. Which is what I done before. An 06.30 flight does indeed make the day long. AFAIK, that Monday will be a bank holiday here.

Cassiel

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yeah, it's a bank holiday over here, but not in the UK, so it's probably a good day to go.. No sense in getting a pre-9:30am flight, as they onmly open at 10am.. So the 6:30am would leave you with a couple of hourse to waste..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

With a bit of luck (and organising), am planning on driving the bike over. Go for a couple of days self-catering if we can find it. The Motorcycle Museum is nearby which apparently is fantastic and I suppose a short tour around the vacinity. Stratford Upon Avon is also near for some culture. There is Cadbury's world which the better half is going to also. I never thought there would actually be something to occupy one's self for more than a day in Birmingham, but there you go.

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I will definately go to the NEC this year, last year I decided to wait for the RDS show in Dublin - Oh dear .................

Half the Bikes were missing including the Top three Jap manufactures! and even the new Triumph RocketIII was missing from the event (largest production Bike) dunno what the problem is with the RDS but Birmingham is only 45 Mins away ................

Advertisement