Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Late Late Show

Options
  • 02-09-2005 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭

Back on tonight. The wives of the Rossport 5 are going to be on!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

Woo hoo Pat's chat is back!!!

How long before Tommy Tiernan et al make their first appearance of many??

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

/tries to get excited.

/fails miserably...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

Well as expected, it returned in glorious 14:9 :rolleyes:

Pat made the claim that it was the first ever live widescreen broadcast on Irish Television - incorrect and they know it. The format had its first outing via the dubious honour of displaying the Rose of Tralee to the nation.

But yes, last night's Late Late was the first ever live widescreen broadcast from Montrose - a significant event all the same, but still an important distinction to make.
    Good Lord, to think the Rose OT will go down in the annals of Irish television history for this reason...of all productions... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I felt sorry for poor Nora trying to guess the shoe size

I always do well in these guessing games if I might say so meself :) being something of a factfreak.
    Had the 56,300 school kids as 57,000 - not bad, not bad at all!

• Advertisement

Poor poor Nora. I really wanted that fat chick that bet here to go down in flames after her gloating to an old woman. tut tut

Yes, poor old Nora - at least she gets a weekend away, sure she got 10 grand out of Winning Streak 11 years ago anyway, sure what would she want with a new car :)

I just knew that smug, roigsht roigsht guy in the shirt was going to win. They always do.

Haha...he was on the button though. The other's would have been more at home havin an auld game of bingo for the prize.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 The Truth!

LOL...and de guy that won took the family car. What an Idiot. If i was him i'd have given the wife no opinion what-so-ever and taken the sports car.

"If ya want a family car, go out and buy one ya scrounger"

Did anyone else think that Doves song was mimed? Im nearly 100% sure that there was no-one at the mic's when the singing started...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Poor Nora me arse! Prat hints the players by saying has a size 44 shoe and then asks them the size of the BIGGEST SHOE IN THE WORLD ..... and she puts down "16".

Pity the fella who won. Judging by the way his tick-like wife barged in and just made up his mind for him I think he should have entered a "which car would you like to run you over and put you out of your misery" competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Indeed, with only 2 kids, the Buckets hardly needed that huge scenic - I'd say the wife is a nightmare. Poor Nora though in fairness, old people and women in general are hopeless those 'educated guess' quizzes on the Late Late, its always the 30-something with the TV accent who went to private school who wins it.

How very true :)

Yes you're right The Truth about the Doves - there was a MAJOR cock-up with their performance, the first time this has ever happened in at least 7 years.
    There was nobody on stage when their performance was supposed to begin, yet the track played on with their voices regardless! It was hilarious - I don't think this has ever happened before in the history of the Late Late (a major achievement for a live show).

The lead was literally chucked out onto the studio floor, unprepared and laughing through the first minute. One guy came on and then went off again, resulting in the camera shots directed at his stand position being completely empty! (all shots are pre-arranged).
    The camerawork and vision mixing as a result went from script to completely off-the-cuff - it was woeful! Indeed they cut back to the wide shot of the studio for a good few seconds just to try and cover the fact that there was only 1 person on stage!
    Well worth a close look for the repeat on Monday night - there's people running everywhere! And as for the utter chaos in the control room! - what I'd do to have seen that...

My guess is that production crew on the floor for whatever reason thought they were cutting to a break after Pat finished with the cars outside so as to allow him to get back inside, but the 3 ad breaks had already been taken!
    Hence the band were left standing about backstage waiting to set up during a break that never came :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Telef&#237 wrote: »
    Well as expected, it returned in glorious 14:9 :rolleyes:

What other format were you expecting on analogue? It was available in 16:9 etc. on digital systems.
    Pat made the claim that it was the first ever live widescreen broadcast on Irish Television - incorrect and they know it. The format had its first outing via the dubious honour of displaying the Rose of Tralee to the nation.

That's incorrect as well. Live sport (mainly GAA) has been available in widescreen on RTÉ for some time now, among some other OB's.

Yes, sorry you're right. But no one ever considers sport do they? :)
    Still, it is very much so the first live broadcast from Montrose, with Miriam's show seemingly being the first ever to be shot in it in the complex, just pre-recorded.

Of course I expected it to return in 14:9 - just I find it so very irritating that RTÉ are altering their modus operandi to the detriment of the average viewer in order to cater for an overwhelming minority of views on Sky - a private operator.
    We don't officially even have digital television in Ireland; the very least RTÉ could have done is waited for the launch of its own service before converting flagship live productions to 14:9.
    It is unfair to the average licence-paying user who is watching a crappy compromise because of the operations of a private company, and crucially who is not even given the option of watching widescreen without paying somebody else. It is not acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

I felt sorry for Nora too.....16!!!! But I think I felt sorrier for the guy who won when I saw his wife barrel on in her cheap Dunnes trousers and jump in with "we'll take the family car, Pat"...... I'd say the husband felt cheated out of his convertible when he got home....... he should have told his wife to shut up that he got the guesses right so he picks....... what a mouse of a man......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

he is unable to handle both serious or lightheareted interviews... he asked ridiculous questions re the rossport, he clearly didn't have clue and about the situation i was way more mad at him then the shell guy.... and not just cos I had a clear view on that i think he could have asked much more searching questions to the criminal lawyer guy did you see the look on Paul Williams face listening to the interview...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭GUBU

i think he could have asked much more searching questions to the criminal lawyer guy did you see the look on Paul Williams face listening to the interview...

Agreed..as soon as he started heading towards anything controversial e.g. the man's views on Saddam Hussein, Milosevic etc he backed off. The questions about John Gilligan were also fairly farcical; and you're right, I think Paul Williams looked disgusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

When Plank was interviewing Mo Mowlam's husband he mentioned moving to the country and "the smell of manure", WTF. Time to get rid of Plank he had is day and he is getting more stupid as time goes by

mickd wrote:
    When Plank was interviewing Mo Mowlam's husband he mentioned moving to the country and "the smell of manure", WTF.

lol, you think thats bad...i'm from achill for fecks sake, so my heart was broken by the fact that Mr. Kenny can only smell crap around here...fair enough its fairly hard to miss it but i'm sure sooner or later he'd have smelt sulpher or somethin less impressionable!

And i'm still sickened by Doves. There was even a womans voice in the song too, and im sure that theres a possibility that there was one backstage givin it loads but for gods sake they could have at least made it look real!

Ah come on - the manure was a tongue-in-cheek comment, made in the context of Mo being an urbanite and having worked in the very centre of London for many years.

But agreed about the Rossport debate, it could have been better. Esssentially not enough time, as always on the Late Late or Prime Time, was given to the item.
    You cannot properly deal with a large human interest element (all the women and their stories) and a factual debate in the space of 22-25 minutes.
    So the factual part was skimped on resulting in the Shell rep not getting enough time to respond to everything, the Rossport Rep not being able to expand enough, and the engineering guy in the audience, the very person who could have brought clarity to the gas pressure issue, being able to make only a passing remark on the whole debate. It was ridiculous.

This is the biggest problem with Late Late debates - they never have enough time, and secondary to that they always have far too many people taking part. All it does is dilute debate, spread the butter thinly, and make for a thoroughly unsatisfactory piece of expository television.
    They have to resolve this before having any more debates, but I can't see it happening. And it really isn't all Pat's fault - he's just trying to cram as many of the voices that have been invited onto the show into the limited time he has.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

would you not agree in the past they have fewer items on and spent much much longer on them

it usual goes local/light item ... musical guest ... serious item.... what wrong with that?

ps i thought the ventriloquest act is getting dissapointing

Yes it was very unfunny, and showed with the lack of reaction from the audience. Almost embarrassing at times. Wasn't much better the last time either.

Yes times have changed on the Late Late - the show is much more formulaic now that what it once was. At times last season they had nothing but 20 minute interview after 20 minute interview the whole way through with nothing but a single performance at the beginning of the show and that was it!
    Likewise the 'alternative' segments down on the studio floor have also become increasingly rare, whether it be displays, exhibitions, strange acts or stand-up comedy - all virtually wiped out.

They get into a routine during the year of just bagging interviews, and leaving it at that. They have to get their act together in offering greater diversity - hopefully the new producer that's come on board this year will sort this. Pat has said he's very 'issues driven' so we just might see the show come to life for once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

YI find it so very irritating that RTÉ are altering their modus operandi to the detriment of the average viewer in order to cater for an overwhelming minority of views on Sky - a private operator.
    We don't officially even have digital television in Ireland; the very least RTÉ could have done is waited for the launch of its own service before converting flagship live productions to 14:9.
    It is unfair to the average licence-paying user who is watching a crappy compromise because of the operations of a private company, and crucially who is not even given the option of watching widescreen without paying somebody else. It is not acceptable.

stop talking through your arse

it is not only Sky that has RTÉ in widescreen, NTL do aswell. i pay a television license and prefer to have RTÉ in widescreen, but it shouldnt be because of people watching on analogue? why not add up the amount of subscribers to Sky and NTL Digital in this country and you will notice it is a large amount. then you say wait till RTÉ has DTT going? you must be joking. by the time that gets going properly i'll be expecting High Definition television at least

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Ah come on - the manure was a tongue-in-cheek comment, made in the context of Mo being an urbanite and having worked in the very centre of London for many years.
    No its just plain stupid, its Plank attempting to be convival by coming out with a dumb innane comment. Do you think someone who is so up himself would know what tongue-in-cheek is? Plank is to television what piles are to Frankie Dettori

Mick you're blowing it way out of proportion, it was a comment Pat himself laughed at as he said it - don't be so ridiculous. If anyone else on television said that you wouldn't have batted an eyelid. It was a remark purposely playing on a stupid stereotype, I can't believe I'm even discussing this...

Mossy I think it is more than fair that RTÉ wait for its own digital platform before inflicting 14:9 on News and Current Affairs which is what I meant. Obviously if drama, film and all the rest of it is either imported in 16:9, or made in Ireland in 16:9 for future-proofing obviously it ought to be broadcast as such - you might as well anyway as either way it's going to be 14:9 on analogue.

However standard everyday output of bread and butter news and current affairs, the very staple of the organisation has no business being in 14:9 on analogue when RTÉ don't even have their own service to offer it on, and when the majority of viewers are watching analogue.
    I accept you point about Sky & NTL - combined they have c460,000 subscribers, about a third of all households.
    So at best only a third of veiwers are watching on digital, and very likely much much less than this in the context of subscribers still watching RTÉ on analogue regardless, and in most cases only one set in each household being connected.

Studio-based news and current affairs is the output most affected by 14:9, with the human form dominating in shots, including close-ups and standard tight compostions being used but with black bars screamingly evident against brightly lit sets and subjects. They practically disappear in most other output.

Why should I as a licence payer be subjected to 14:9 by RTÉ when not given the option to watch their widescreen image? I am paying RTÉ to provide me with a professional broadcast service, yet I am recieving a compromised image with absolutely no possibility whatsoever to avail of a 16:9 service. The average licence-payer gets nothing out of this deal, nothing at all. This is patently unfair.

Might I respectfully throw your opening statement back at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Why should I as a licence payer be subjected to 14:9 by RTÉ when not given the option to watch their widescreen image?

the same arguement can be put the other way. but can RTÉ not provide 4:3 for analogue and 16:9 for digital. i know they can change the DOG so they are different. the BBC for instance do this during live sport

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

hopefully the new producer that's come on board this year will sort this.
    His spirit will be crushed, muaw haw haw.

I think I've lost the will to live watching the repeat tonight. It was the usual Renault-sponsored Carnival of Banality.

It's really only the memory of Gaybo that keeps people watching in the forelorn hope that one day things will be like they once were.
    Pat has said he's very 'issues driven' so we just might see the show come to life for once.
    Nurse? The tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

In relation to Friday's show and the ads stating that Eddie Hobbs would be on it...well he has just announced on Today FM that he will not be on the Late Late Show on Friday. That RTÉ ran with the advert before agreeing with him. He said that he was suppose to be on it last week but wanted to wait until the Rip Off Republic was over. An then he said that he won't be on it, as he thinks that everyone is sick of him on TV, so he won't be on the show.

That's very strange, especially as Pat mentioned it again on Monday morning on radio.
    Surprising Hobbs hadn't contacted the Late Late about it by then.

Either way how has this mess come about? Either he agreed to do next Friday's show or he didn't.

• Advertisement

I dont understand why he wont go on. Sure people might be sick of him, i'm not yet, but he has nothing to fear by going on. My god damn family are on about how he might be ambushed by haters and more importantly Govenment supporters but now he's just made a fool of Pat. Which is probably a good thing.

Advertisement