Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And Now For Something A Little Different...

Options
  • 02-09-2005 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

http://blogs.boards.ie/syxpak/category/mods/alpharack/

DEC AlphaServer4000
    "AlphaRack"
    Hostname:"alf" or "alph" (if I integrate a mobo into it)

I would like to keep the exterior intact and original. No exterior mods.
    However, there's acres of scope for some really cool stuff, my head is buzzing with ideas. I'll be on a bus for about 3 hours tonight going to Darkside, so I'll bring a sketchbook and pen and draw some of them up.
    I actually have a fair bit of rackmount kit, switches mainly, but they'd all fit inside.

I'll find out for definate if I'm getting the chassis or not.

BTW: I know some people will baulk at the idea of using an Alpha box as a rack, but it's been stripped for parts and what's left will be chucked to Galway Metal next week. I'm trying to salvage what I can and what I will actually use. I have far too much tech lying about at home so I can't keep taking in 'strays' :)
    Hopefully this will make for an interesting project and should hopefully help me tidy up the warren of tech and cables in our sitting room.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Looks cool, good luck with the interior remodelling ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Seems that I will be getting it, just need to get it back to the apartment and then back home so I can work on it in the garage.

Also, I will be getting some of the modules from inside it - CPU bricks afaik. I'll dig up info, model#, serial# etc. if anyone wants any spares.
    Ye've got about a week before I strip them for bits. Migh very well chuck a machine into them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

sounds like a good project :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Right, the machine is mine.
    I'm going to have to get an angle grinder (preferably a hand-grinder) and cut away some excess, but it should be swet.
    The top-half contains the system, twas only the storage that was stripped. I'm going to have a word with a friend and see if they want the whole thing or just the system block.
    I *may* have to do some welding.

Advertisement