Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MARIA (Fourteen)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

TS Maria is now Hurricane Maria.

092115W_sm.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

now a category two hurricane with winds of 100mph

also worth mentioning that this storm is starting to show up on the UK met office fax charts. Its likely to bring some unsettled weather here over the weekend or on Monday.

Maria now cat 3 and has started its NNE turn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Hurrican Maria completely missed the Continental US and is chugging north east in mid atlantic at present and could easily hit us here instead as ye can see ....albeit most likely as a storm not a hurricane....about this time next week .

Fortunately Herr Flick has a well organised and rehearsed plan so we are all not doomed :) . I refuse to move to high ground , feck off Flick .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I still have my iodine tablets just in case! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Hobbes wrote:
    I still have my iodine tablets just in case! :D

Oh yes the wonderful now out of date iodine tablets! What a great idea they were :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

What will happen if we are hit by it? nothing.. some rain and wind, some garden furniture will fly around and maybe some roof tiles...

Some day americans will learn how to use concrete to make houses instead of wood. Concrete will even mostly survive a direct hit by a tornado.. At least the superstructure will.. the roof etc will go.

Anyway that storm looks like it will die long before it gets to us. The 5 day mark which is still a few thousand miles from us is marked as being nothing more than a tropical storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Saruman wrote:
    Some day americans will learn how to use concrete to make houses instead of wood. Concrete will even mostly survive a direct hit by a tornado.. At least the superstructure will.. the roof etc will go.

When was the last time you were in the US? 1800?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Mary Harney is the current Minister For Iodine and Here is where you can get your tablets if your household is short a few.

Unfortunately Willie O Dea appears to possibly be in charge of the Irish National Emergency Plan (as it is known) if that hurricane hits us so nobody will be able to understand what Willie is warning us about :( .

You will note from that link that he fobbed his responsibilities off onto "13 Departments" and "4 State Bodies" .

He also admitted in that link that this years National Emergency Plan exercises were cancelled when that bus crashed in County Meath and overwhelmed the Emergency Services . I'd hate to think what a real Emergency would cause.

Meanwhile , as I said, there is a Hurricane presently heading this way :)

*puts on his weather mod hat*

Hurricane Maria is if it maintains current course and speed is due to directly hit SW Ireland(cork Kerry area ) according to the latest models a week tomorrow.
    It's pressure gradient is likely to be about 980 hpa by sunday and falling.
    Thats going to bring winds of about 50mph or higher in gusts.
    If the barometric pressure falls further,the winds will be stronger.

Katrina was 902 hpa at her worst.

It will be wet and windy but nothing that we havent seen before,present indications suggest.

Sending this to the weather board and merging with the existing thread there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

is there going to be big surf for surfers ????

I'm not sure about a "direct hit" on SW Ireland.
    It looks like it will curve with a greater chance of affecting Iceland rather than Ireland.
    According to Jeff Masters on Wunderground :

"Maria is expected to continue zooming northeastward and turn into a huge and powerful extratropical low that will slam Iceland with high winds and heavy rain on Saturday. Maria's remnants will then weaken, but still bring Norway significant wind and rain on Tuesday."

144621W_sm.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Saruman wrote:

Thats a question that has bugged me for years. The most hurricane prone parts of the US are also where homes are overwhelmingly built from timber.

Mike.

http://www.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/data/satellite/goes_sigwx_visible_100.jpg

satelite image of Maria and Nate

maria is the one on the right, still a hurricane with 80mph

and get this , she is fairly big as well.
    QUIKSCAT DATA INDICATE THAT MARIA HAS BECOME A LARGE CYCLONE.
    HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 85 MILES...140 KM...
    FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP
    TO 230 MILES...370 KM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

The advisory chart suggests that maria is going to regain hurricane strength on sunday.
    At that stage it is as far north as Ireland isn't it a bit far north to be regaining strength.

Maria is feeding off the warm moisture within Hurricane Nate.

http://www.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/data/satellite/goes_sigwx_1070_100.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭ruck-it

Saruman wrote:

Anyway that storm looks like it will die long before it gets to us. The 5 day mark which is still a few thousand miles from us is marked as being nothing more than a tropical storm.

I see people saying that all over the place but I don't really believe it. My attitude would be that nothing is going to stand up to a Cat 4 or 5. All I have to do is think back to that storm in Christmas '97 where loads of houses were quite badly damaged around the South West and think that that storm was only around 1/2 the strength of a Cat 4/5. So if our 'durable' houses are damaged in small storms it doesn't look like Concrete would help that much.

dloob wrote:
    The advisory chart suggests that maria is going to regain hurricane strength on sunday.
    At that stage it is as far north as Ireland isn't it a bit far north to be regaining strength.

Yeah, but its extratropical.

While the UK Met office is still showing a nasty combination of Maria and Nate giving us windy weather on Tuesday, what is now Tropical Storm Maria is forcast by the NHC to head straight for iceland as a strong extratropical storm.

Maria has started its transition from tropical cyclone to extratropical cyclone and this should be completed within the next 24 hours.

If it does not hit us, then it might bring some warm air with it giving us a mild couple of days as it passes.

Endurance_man might be pleased to know that there should be some waves from both Maria and Nate, coming into the new week.

when storms pass a certain latitude, the NHC maps go all screwey, showing the north pole which is unnessary as the five day forcast track takes up about 10 percent of the map when they do this, and you need a magnifying glass to see it.

Anyways, after the 03Z advisory, maria is still headed for Iceland. but it is now starting its transition from tropical to extratropical.

• Advertisement

for anyone still interested Extratropical storm Maria has made landfall on Iceland

http://152.80.49.216/archdat/tc05/ATL/14L.MARIA/ssmi/pct/20050912.2122.f15.pct.pct.MARIA.x.jpg

estimated pressure is 976 mb
    http://www.vedur.is/english/sjospae.html?

Icelandic weather service measures wind in meters per second, here is a link to a windspeed converter
    http://www.srh.noaa.gov/elp/wxcalc/windconvert.shtml

Advertisement