Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have or know of young pups?

Options
  • 02-09-2005 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Trying to source a pup for a friend, open to all offers / breeds / X's
    Please dont suggest shelters, have gone thru them all already.
    Need a pup, as its going to be trained for a specific purpose.
    b

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

I know you said no shelters but Puppy Rescue in Inistioge have a litter of 7 6 week olds, mother is KC/collie dad a spaniel or terrier. They also have young 10 week old lab x's and boxer x's.

I'm on the lookout for a small breed non terrier pup myself so i've been keeping an eye on whats where :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

do you have a number for them arcadian? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

http://inistiogepuppyrescue.com/adopt.php

Puppy Rescue Inistioge - Co Kilkenny - 0567758626

They feature a lot of their dogs on the petsireland site, thats where the KC/collie ones are. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If it's a pup it can be trained anyway, puppy rescue has always got puppies all sorts of shapes and sizes. Btw they are always in need of blankets and other supplies. Pennys do fleece blankets for a fiver, sometimes they are on sale for 4 or 3 euro also charity shops sell big blankets for half nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 rose of jericho

what is it going to be specifically trained for because surely that would determine what breed of dog you are after!!! They only problem with going to a shelter is you just never know what is in the breeding of the dog and in my experience nine times out of ten these shelter people haven't a bogs notion what they're talking about and don't know what breeds are in the dog so be careful

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

what is it going to be specifically trained for because surely that would determine what breed of dog you are after!!! They only problem with going to a shelter is you just never know what is in the breeding of the dog and in my experience nine times out of ten these shelter people haven't a bogs notion what they're talking about and don't know what breeds are in the dog so be careful

Eh yeah - hard to tell what breeds are in a box of dumped at your gate 6 week old black dogs :mad:
    Seriously - the origin of litters of pups really is an unknown quantity -
    But generally older dogs are assessed and catagorised into re-homing suitability - what a stupid blanket statement to make.

SuzyS1972 wrote:
    But generally older dogs are assessed and catagorised into re-homing suitability - what a stupid blanket statement to make.

Generally??? You mean you don't assess every dog...that's very responsible...re-homing unknown quantities to the public doesn't do much for the profile of dogs does it???

By the way, what means of assessment do you use? Cat-Friendly? Dog-Friendly? Child-friendly? I'm assuming you carry out rigorous home-checks before placement to assess the suitability of owners as well as dogs.

I also assume (or perhaps I shouldn't going by the level of knowledge I've experienced among so-called resuers, having worked in rescue for almost 20 years, and having bred and exhibited within three group categories) that you can actually identify specific breeds and have acquired enough knowledge about each to make suitable partnerships between dog and new home.

Besides the commonsense approach, you do realise that each breed has associated contraindications with various veterinary medicines (e.g. ivomec causing brain damage in collies or crosses of such) let alone common hereditary diseases and defects...most usually observed in badly bred dogs which are those that usually end up in rescues.

I personally hold good rescues in high regard, it's just unfortunate that they are in a minority in this country as this sphere suffers the unfortunate situation of attracting well intentioned but badly informed do-gooders.

now children, no fighting in this thread please.... ;)

Its simple really, shes looking for a dog, she wants to train it as an assist dog for herself. Her last one recently died of old age.
    Its not just about any one breed, her last was a JRT X Mystery, and he was *amazing*,... he opened doors, picked up things she dropped, unplugged plugs, got clothes out of drawers, its not the breed that counts, its the individual dog, regardless of breed / age / sex.

She is looking for a pup *unless* there is a obedience trained older animal that is able and clever enough for the job.
    She also has a cat, so thats another reason for wanting a pup.

b

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Get your friend to call puppyrescue and explain exactly what she wants (best she deals with them directly).

Brenda Stone knows and loves JRTs and crosses perhaps better than any other breed, if you give her time she'll be able to find the best possible dog for her, and I think a young dog would be far better than a pup, because it is easier to know whether the dog's temperament will suit.

That is why guide dogs for the blind have their puppies fostered till they grow up a bit.

You cannot know anything about a puppy and risk winding up with a totally unsuitable dog that can never be trained as an assist dog.

I agree lol, I think her hearts telling her "puppy" but her heads saying "slightly older" lol ;)
    Either way, I guess the final decision comes down to her, all I know is she had her last trained *amazingly* and got him at 8 weeks,... maybe she might be more comfortable "shaping" a puppy *shrug*......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

No - sorry that came out wrong ! by " Generally " I mean I can't speak for other rescues - as I am sure there are a few who just churn out the dogs - i agree with you there . The one I am involved with holds dogs for 2 weeks to ensure they are not re-claimed and are properly assessed with cats , children , other dogs etc.
    The dogs are then matched up to potential owners who are home checked etc.
    But it is still hard to tell what pups of unknown origin will end up like - I'm ALWAYS honest and advise people of this and make 100% sure they are comfortable with this as the last thing any responsible rescue wants is some poor dog coming back at 8 months coz " he's too big "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Is there not an association in Ireland that deals with dogs used as assist dogs eg like guide dogs for the blind but for people who need other assistance? If not there should be, it would benifit people and animals alike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

There probably is, or if not there may well be in UK, but it seems clear this lady can train her own dog, and prefers to...

...and if so, more power to her...it's like any other working dog, some people are happy to have the dog pre-trained, some are only comfortable with dogs they have trained themselves.

I was wondering if she has ever thought of teaching classes for others who want to train their own assistance dogs?

If she had a JRT X before and it worked well for her I would go with that again I have a Jack X and she is just amazing you can teach her to do anything and she loves it. I used to live on an organic farm with free range hens and we thought her to herd the hens at the end of the day and put them back in to coop. She could have appeared on one man and his dog.

aare wrote:
    There probably is, or if not there may well be in UK, but it seems clear this lady can train her own dog, and prefers to..

Yep,
    She believes that the bond formed during training, is *the* single most important factor, personally, I think shes right.

b

Advertisement