Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Mark/Swamp

Options
  • 01-09-2005 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Can anyone explain how there's no windows above Peter Mark/Swamp on William Street?
    It's just 2 stories of concrete facade. It's incredible, I can't imagine how it ever got planning permision. Anyone know what's in there? Is it some top secret hair cutting facility?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Whereabouts is it on William Street???
    Is the building new or old???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Old building, about a third of the way up. Keep an eye out for it the next time. Once Munchins House is knocked I nominate Swamp for the ugliest building in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

LOL, what about the tax office, there on the road up from Arthurs Quay heading onto Patricks Street, which is the one way road that becomes O'Connell Street???
    That looks pretty much the same as Muchins House!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

But it has windows, surely that at least gives it marks for usability? All of Parnell Street could be added to the ugly building list though.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Lopper

Yeah Parnell St....Hardly the best sight for all the arrivals from the train station. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

What building is that ? is it the one way system going from the Tourist offic and Arthurs Quay SC to patricks st and and dublin rd?

if thats the one your talking about , well I think its an ok building considering that it was by far the most modern building in the city when the Urban renewel started in the early 80s most of Patricks and Arthurs quay.

I think Arthurs quay SC is an ugly example for the city , giving a red brick building with a few coves here and there , its just too ugly to have it there.

not to mention the parking lot above the SC makes it dead as a cemetery , knock it down and build the state of the art inner city Mall! fill carparks underground.

by the way don't know why such a well known hairdressers decided to trade in the egg shell !

also Brown thomas reminds me of a Sunbed.
    another 1 on the hitlist

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

They won't be knocking Aurthurs Quay, and turning it into an inner-city super mall, because accross the road from it, is where they are building the largest mall, in Munster!
    The whole block (apart from the Grannery building), is about to be knocked in the next few months, to make way for an enormous new retail outlet!!!
    It's the block inbetween Patrick St., and Ellen St., where Quin's Pub used to be!
    That should be fairly cool when it's finished. Although it was a shame to see Quin's go!
    I know it's been a dive for the last few years, but I'd been going there regularly for close to 7 years, so it's a pity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

i thought Coonagh Cross was going to be the biggest in Munster?? WHeres the one going up near Arthurs Quay, i never heard of that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

ok we are gettin a bit side tracked here , but the Coonagh cross shoppin centre itself looks rather like an average to large shopping centres that have been built already!

In my mind , I thought the Mahon Point was the biggest and will be till the new shoppin mall plan sprouts up at the back of the Granary.

that projects is really exciting :)

Definately what Limerick needs, a city centre shopping centre, cause Arthur's Quay is crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭hailtothechimp

Can anyone explain how there's no windows above Peter Mark/Swamp on William Street?
    It's just 2 stories of concrete facade. It's incredible, I can't imagine how it ever got planning permision. Anyone know what's in there? Is it some top secret hair cutting facility?

I know the building you mean and have wondered the same myself many times and oft. Don't have an answer alas, but it has to be one of the ugliest buildings in the city. I'm sure it was built at a time when planning permission was pretty lax, or even non-existent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭hailtothechimp

That should be fairly cool when it's finished. Although it was a shame to see Quin's go!
    I know it's been a dive for the last few years, but I'd been going there regularly for close to 7 years, so it's a pity!

Are they really knocking the buildings where Quin's and that garden centre are? That seems pretty outrageous to me as they are both very attractive stone exteriors and have to be close to 200 years old. I would have thought they'd have been protected...

Reminds me of when they knocked the wonderful and lovely old McDaid's in Denmark St to replace it with that crappy budget accomodation place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

How about someone start a "worst building in limerick" poll?

You have the power

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I was walking through town with my friend yesterday and he was complaining about how depressed he was and we just happened to be across the road from peter mark/swamp so I told him to look up at that, that'll cheer you up. It didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

haha, some friend you are

Advertisement