Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing Machine Disposal

Options
  • 01-09-2005 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi

Just wondering does anyone know the cost of disposing a washing machine?

I've rang Silliot Hill, my local landfill site lots of times but no answer, there is nothing on the website either.

I have a new machine coming tomorrow and they charge 40Eur to take away the old one, just wondering would it be cheaper to do it myself?

Cheers

B2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Since the introduction of the WEEE directive it's free at all landfill sites. Also since the introduction of this, retailers are supposed to take away the old one for free too. Remind them of their obligations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Beta2,

For the first time I can now drive a commercial van into a Recycling Centre, look up your local centre they must accept all old electrical appliances..........Free ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

I'm curious to know if you had to pay any extra when you bought your new washing machine under the WEEE scheme. Retailers are supposed to add the recycling charge to the sale price on new electrical goods and not charge for the removal of old appliances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

i might go there with an old electrical toothbrush or a watch and say i want to dispose of this! 2 euro wee charge is lunacy for these. il b buying in the uk from now on... not that i wasnt before. even though power city claims to b cheap they are at least 15%-20% above the lowest prices for electronics in the uk. the wee levy hardly helps.

masterK wrote:
    I'm curious to know if you had to pay any extra when you bought your new washing machine under the WEEE scheme. Retailers are supposed to add the recycling charge to the sale price on new electrical goods and not charge for the removal of old appliances.
    The situation is that the producers of electrical goods are allowed to charge an EMC (Environmental Management Charge) to cover so-called 'historical' WEEE, i.e. stuff that was bought before the WEEE directive came into force for a period of 8-10 years. If they do this, and most if not all do, then the retailer is obliged by law to make it clear what that charge is on the price label for the goods.

The only thing I've heard of is that some unscrupulous retailers are trying to claim that it's only the actual disposal that's being paid for by the levy, and that actually transporting it back to their depot isn't covered.

• Advertisement

lomb wrote:
    il b buying in the uk from now on... not that i wasnt before. even though power city claims to b cheap they are at least 15%-20% above the lowest prices for electronics in the uk. the wee levy hardly helps.
    Won't help, as it's an EU wide thing. Different countries are introducing it at different speeds, but eventually the whole of the EU will be covered. Of course, some EU countries have had this for years now anyway without all the whingeing that's accompanied it's introduction here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

Beta2 wrote:
    Hi

Just wondering does anyone know the cost of disposing a washing machine?

I've rang Silliot Hill, my local landfill site lots of times but no answer, there is nothing on the website either.

I have a new machine coming tomorrow and they charge 40Eur to take away the old one, just wondering would it be cheaper to do it myself?

Cheers

B2

they cannot charge you to remove the old one as this is included in the price of the new one. tell them you wont take delivery if they dont take the old one away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Beta2

masterK wrote:

Yea I think it was 20Eur. I was entitled to return the old appliances to them. They said they deliver the goods through a 3rd party, so i had to pay 34.99 for delivery and the same applied for collecting the old goods, the third party would charge 34.99 for returning the old appliance back to the shop.

I'll go to the dump in the morning, i hope it is free.

B2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

i was at the Cork landfill site this morning and the sign said all electrical appliances free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Beta2

yea its free in kildare

Thanks for your advice

B2

• Advertisement
Advertisement