Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pruning a creeping vine

Options
  • 01-09-2005 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a vine getting overgrown over my back shed, at this stage it has completly covered the neigbour's shed roof as well (though they don't seem to mind)

I was wondering what is the best time of year to trim it back, and any advice or pitfalls to watch out for. I cut a little pice of it two years ago, and half of it fell off! :D (fully recovered now)

Sorry, I dont know the species, It's about to take on its annual Autumn explosion of colours, which is really beautiful, so I want to be very careful with it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Without knowing the name no-one could know....can you take a photo maybe? (Close enough to see the leaf shape).

A general rule of thumb is to wait till it dies back in winter, and prune then, *never* prune on or before its coming into flower, you prolly will kill it.

b

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭P&L

cheers, I'll find out the name, I remeber using this site before, so hopefully it will help again... if not, I'll post the photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boardy

Sounds like a Boston Ivy ....
    (I just planted one yesterday).

Advertisement