Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a good card

Options
  • 01-09-2005 12:51pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.techfever.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=2417

This seems like a good price for this model of card, can anyone recommend a better one at around the same price. Its for a media PC but i might end up over clocking it so if its not possible please let me know

thanks

stoner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Looks to me like... OVERKILL :D

Check reviews for noise; you may want a card with a large heatsink or "silent"-type cooler for a media PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Stoner wrote:
    http://www.techfever.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=2417

This seems like a good price for this model of card, can anyone recommend a better one at around the same price. Its for a media PC but i might end up over clocking it so if its not possible please let me know

thanks

stoner
    Get a passively cooled low-end card with decent TV-out.
    ie ATi X600, 9200 or an nVidia 6200 or 5700

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

Its 397 on Jes.de for a gigabyte 7800gt

I've never read a review/heard of xpertvision before.

Still cheaper than the cheapest 7800gt on komplett at €455.

Also from the xfx review on anantech, the 7800gt isnt a very quiet card, especially for a media pc. The 7800gtx is actually supposed to be quieter.

So tack on another €30- €40 squid for the Arctic Cooling silencer 5 rev 3 when it comes out in November if your leaning towards the 7800gt!

SyxPak wrote:
    Get a passively cooled low-end card with decent TV-out.
    ie ATi X600, 9200 or an nVidia 6200 or 5700

This baby here is supposed to be a great performer, OC'er, and it's silent too.
    Though I'm not sure where to get it...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Why do you want to overclock a graphics card in a media PC?
    Unless you're playing games on it (PC games, not emus) you won't notice any difference, it won't have a tangible increase on 2D or video playback and you'll end up with it just dumping more heat, being noisier and wasting power.

If you're serisouly building a HTPC/media box, then go for the quietest low-power board you can find.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I want it to do both. Late night gaming upstairs is causing problems for me at the moment, walls being banged etc. I was hoping that i could have a media PC and then game later on. I can get a DVI input for my monitor so it should look well

After reading a dozen reviews of the 7800GTX, I can tell you that, at the moment it's unneccessary -- the reason being, in all cases it will be held back by your PC's CPU; even Custom PC's FX-55@2.8GHz couldn't help differentiate all the different models.
    If you really, really want a 7800GTX, we ain't stopping you; but you'd be better served getting a 6800 GT or, if you're feeling extravagant, a 7800GT (which can OC to near-GTX levels anyway); and maybe a some cooling equipment.
    BTW, it would help if you added an upgrade budget, and listed your specs.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

this is a 7800GT that I asked about ??? or am i wrong?
    I already have a 6800GT its great on my PC upstairs.
    I want this for a Media pc that I can game on at night without waking up my wife as i shout on Skype. I listed my pricelist on another thread and the graphics card got lost in the flood so to speak so i took it off line and into this thread.
    I've attached my list, I plan on ordering over the weekend ( i hope the dual core CPC will be back in stock) I need to do some work on the sound card but between here and AV forums I think i have that sorted.
    I'll go as high as 2K but 200 euro of it is spent converting my plasma into DVI so 1800 inc VAT is my max.

Thanks for the info everyone

Stoner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

Stoner wrote:
    I want this for a Media pc that I can game on at night without waking up my wife as i shout on Skype.

For some reason i find this very funny. probably becasue its in my near future somewhere!

Since its for gaming you're obviously looking for a high end card - and its just not going to be quiet. check out the noise assesment here for the 7800gt and 7800gtx.
    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2519&p=5

All of the different brand 7800gts released so far are using the same stock cooler and at 54.7 db its just too loud to be sitting in the corner of your living room. Its not going to drown you out when your screaming blue murder at that annoying noob that just team killed you however.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,220 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Dundhoone wrote:

Graphics cards using the guts of 300W these days :eek:

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote:
    this is a 7800GT *etc
    Yes, I can't see how I kept seeing an extra "X" there. Must be all the hype...

If we're talking noise/performance, then this x800xl should have the power you need, and it's passively cooled (so you needn't worry about noise), though you may want 1 or 2 120mm fans, or maybe an extractor-fan like this here.
    I think you should look through OverClockers UK for cards; their choice is much larger than Komplett's or Techfever's. Or try Dabs.

Anyway, why are you worried about your wife when you're screaming at n00bs??

Will do had a quick look on DABS already overclockers looks good, I was checking up on a review on 7800GTX cards ( eventhough they are out of my range) it seems thay use alot less power and need less cooling then the 6000 series, I wonder if that is true for the 7800GT series. There is a passive 7800GTX card also. It seems that the 7800GTX range copy pentium M tech by stepping up and down power requirments depending on the workload and powered its fan up and down when needed, therefore it gets louder as it does more work. So I was thinking that when working as a media PC it would be quiet and when it was gaming it runs louder but who cares when your gaming (to some degree). but this could be pie in the sky talk by me again
    BTW the sleepy GF/wife situation happens to all my mates, the odd time when we all meet up they bit-ch about being PC widows etc. Its all ahead of you and I'm only married 3 months

Thanks again to all

Stoner

Advertisement