Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increaing water pressure

Options
  • 01-09-2005 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

HI
    We have quite low pressure in the hot and cold taps in the bathrooms in a 2 story house. Its not bad but not great. Has anyone done anything to increase the pressure. Now I know you can get pumps for power showers but what I have in mind is for taps and baths..
    The only other option is to raise the tank in the attic by a few feet to try and increase the pressure that way but that is too much like hard work...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I put a pump in the hotpress, all the feeds to the bathroom are powered from it, tap, bath & shower...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Beldin,

Make sure your storage tank is a 60 gallon tank I have seen 40 gfal in their place which would cause low pressure when you have two 3/4" pipes draining the gravity pressure with a 1/2" supply replacing the water you take out.

Have you checked the supply valves in the hot press are fully open ?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

Yeah the valves are wide open. I am not sure of the size of the tank but it is big... Not sure we could get any bigger up there..

Greebo what type of pump did you put in, most of them state they are for boosting showers and don't mention the rest of the system.. Was there a pressure rating on it..
    What I am worried about is if I put in too powerful a pump it could cause problems with toilets etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Mate of mine put one into his hot press and it does all the taps and showers, etc.

Only prob is its very noisy.

Was staying there one weekend and he got up early for a pee and the noise of the pump when he turned on the taps to wash his hands woke me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

i have one of those pumps also (pre-installed in new house)

2 problems:

-it's noisy
    -pressure out of the taps is like a firehose! - much potential for soaking yourself when you go to wash your hands. Showers are great, but you do run out of hot water if 2 people have showers in quick succession.

• Advertisement
Advertisement