Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your opinions - are they yours?

Options
  • 01-09-2005 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

Are the opinions you hold ones you have come up with yourself or are they just borrowed from various sources?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

They're your take on the sources you've read, listened to etc. and your life experience to this point in time imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Yeah, most of mine come from others but are put through the filter of my mind and modified somewhat or not. Then there are a few that are... uh unique to the point that other people just do not get them/get freaked out by them. o_O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

No, this is the opinion of Sir Reginald Dubarry Wolverhampton Senior, Duke of Essex.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I guess that depends on the question.

If you ask me "is brown this season's black?", I'd have to revert to some snippit of crap I read in one of the Missis' magazines. In that case - no it's not my opinion - it's hearsay.

However if you ask me "is there a God?", well then my answer would very much be my own opinion, based on strong personal beliefs derived from a deep interest in the subject.

What's the difference? Knowledge of the subject. If you have it, you can give a justifiable opinion. If you can't defend your position you're rehashing someone elses.

That said, I have a habit of automatically looking for a reason to disagree with opinions that people give as fact. I like a debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I often find that I might be on the verge of an insight when something I read sums up my thoughts for me. I sometimes wonder how my own thinking would have developed had I not done so. Would I have arrived at the same conclusion or would I have abandoned the idea of coming to a conclusion at all?

At other times I find that someone has set down my thoughts on a matter for me. The idea was there in me somewhere, it just never expressed itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I'd like to think my opinions are my own but I'm sure I can be influenced by people I spend time with and what I read, observe etc.

That said, I talk to people around me and read and observe to try to make my own opinions informed (whether or not I agree with what I hear/see) so it's a bit of a circle really.

Not sure that makes much sense... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

simu wrote:
    Are the opinions you hold ones you have come up with yourself or are they just borrowed from various sources?

Everyone opinons are shaped in some form by the views of others they interact with. Even original opinions are built on top of views you have heard and been exposed to

I think what you mean to ask is; Are the opinions you hold genuine or do you just go along with them because you believe it is the correct thing to do (example someone who is off the opinion the Iraq war is wrong but they don't have a clue why)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Obviously it takes some source material to form an opinion, but by and large I let very little affect my true opinion, and I would not change them to suit anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Wicknight wrote:
    Everyone opinons are shaped in some form by the views of others they interact with. Even original opinions are built on top of views you have heard and been exposed to

I think what you mean to ask is; Are the opinions you hold genuine or do you just go along with them because you believe it is the correct thing to do (example someone who is off the opinion the Iraq war is wrong but they don't have a clue why)?

Well, it was more how much of originality is there is your opinions tbh. (And I'm not saying that originality in opinions is particularly good or bad).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

My opinions are my own, but are informed by information I gain from research, life experience, talking to people, being aware of my surroundings etc. I'd like to think they're always open to changing when I get further information.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭KnowItAll

I like to question everything in my mind. That helps shape my opinions. I'll listen to people but that dosn't mean I believe everything they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 U$ername

I used to have my own opinions before Google... now their just a mish mash of god knows how many experts/bloggers/fruit loops..

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

simu wrote:
    Yeah, most of mine come from others but are put through the filter of my mind and modified somewhat or not. Then there are a few that are... uh unique to the point that other people just do not get them/get freaked out by them. o_O

agreed

and im called ignorant for it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement