Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Irving's new book

Options
  • 31-08-2005 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

just about to start Irving's new book. Anyone read it yet ? If so what do you think?

Also interested in what people think of Irving as an author in general

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I've only read The Cider House Rules by him and it was pretty damn excellent, I must say. What's his latest about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭dingle

To be honest, I don't know what the latest is about, I haven't even looked at it yet.

If you thought Cider House Rules was good (in my opinion it's his third best book) then read some of the older stuff (especially "A World According To Garp" and "A Prayer For Owen Meaney") before you read his latest offerings, in my opinion his last few books were not up to his usual standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭utopian

dingle wrote:
    just about to start Irving's new book. Anyone read it yet ? If so what do you think?

Also interested in what people think of Irving as an author in general

The Observer had a really damning review of this, if you're interested in reviews.

I remember reading a couple of his books years ago. I think he's one of those writers to whom the law of diminishing returns applies.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,6903,1539418,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

^^^

Harsh but funny!
    The writing is not only unsuspenseful but anti-suspenseful - chapter titles such as 'No Luck in Norway' and 'Failure in Finland' crush narrative hopes in advance.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

What's the title?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I've read A Prayer for Owen Meany, The World According to GARP and the Hotel New Hampshire. I've found that a lot of common themes come up again and again. Wrestling, prostitues, Vienna, bears in circuses etc especially in TWATG and HNH.

A Prayer for OM was a bit more diverse but still there were common themes.

I keep meaning to read Cider House Rules but haven't got around to it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

A prayer for Owen Meany is one of the best books I have ever read...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

im just starting on the 138 pound marriage... does anyone have any opinions aboot that one?

Advertisement