Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a diseased cat?

Options
  • 31-08-2005 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

This cat is aggressive towards other cats, I was wondering, is it some kind of skin disease or just scars from fights?
    dsc002429nu.jpg
    dsc002410lo.jpg
    dsc002359vk.jpg
    dsc002365zc.jpg
    dsc002371ij.jpg
    dsc002395gz.jpg

also

It never stops moving and scratching it's front paws against
    pavement, carpet, is that normal for a cat to do?
    dsc002430dw.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

From what I can make out, my guess would be a flea / tick allergy, (BUT do NOT put a flea collar or treatment on this cat, let the vet decide, often cats that have flea allergies can be allergic to the everyday treatments also).......... but the fact that it is *so* localised would make me wonder about other potential problems.

when cats fight they usually go for the necks or bellys, so its unlikely this condition is fight-related due to its locations.

Get the cat to a vet asap, this condition, whatever it turns out to be, is making the cat uncomfortable and irritable, and is quite possibly very painfull.

I do see "lumps" but I cant tell if they are fur or under the skin........

basically, vet, asap!

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Is it an unneutered male?, if so they will fingt like blue blazes. To me it looks like matted lumps of hair. Is it your cat, can you get near it?.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

There is a cat that used to pop into the garden a while back that had a spot of that on its arse. One of the neighbors once said to the that the cat had mange (don't know how to spell it) or scabbies or something nasty at some stage. Could be that the cat once had something and the hair has grown back like that. At any rate, if the cat is stray and you don't think you would get attacked by it - then put it in a box and take it to the vet.

I personally wouldn't be able to do that myself - I'd be worried about it attacking me - but for sure I'd find someone to help.

From the second pic - he/she doesn't look very well. Can tell by the eyes. It actually looks pretty vicous and snarly - but cats can look that way when they ain't feelin the best. Frank's advise above is VERY good - consise and worth heeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

it's not my cat, it's a stray cat,

well actually, my neighbor told me that it has a master, but from the looks of it, he doesn't really give a damn about a poor animal :( ba****d!

so it goes into people's gardens around the neighborhood, he told me just to kick it away and it wouldn't bother me, but I felt really sorry for the poor animal, it isn't aggressive towards humans(it always rubs against my legs and when I kneel it always goes for my hand asking to pet it and then it purrs :)) , it just wants a company(everyone must have treated it bad :(), it constant wants to go into the house, it sleeps by day and is usually awake at night, it used meow a lot at the door, until I'd go out and pet it, but now I think it found it's place in the shed it my backyard it was probably a house cat but the a**hole master of his kicked it out or something, I put some warm clothes in a clean, dry and pretty warm shed, I bring it some sausages and water, but it doesn't eat :(

doc, I don't know wheather it's a male or a female, don't know anything about it.

tomorrow, I will take it to a vet near my place.

here's another pic
    dsc002462qx.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

If its a hard cat to catch / handle, best way I have ever found to "catch" & box an angry cat, get a large fliptop bin, (just a kitchen bin) tape the top on so the only way in/out is via the flap......

put somthing that would smell nice to a kitty inside at the very back, (small peice of tinned tuna for example..... prop flap open with stick or somthing, kitty goes in, has to go to back to get tuna, close flap, put bin upright, an u have one trapped kitty coz the flaps on those bins can only open from outside! ;)

(just be sure to put a cpl of holes in side of the bin for air to get in, and dont leave him in there for long, get him down to vet asap. And tell vet he is very scared and he may want his leather "gauntlet" gloves to handle him.
    There is also a possibility it might be transmissable from cat to cat but the vet usually will take that into consideration,.

hope that helps..

b

[Edit] Looks like a male to me, albiet a thin, underfed male,..... but def doesent look like an old cat, still has most of his whiskers and has a young face :) [/EDIT]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

He sounds friendly enough so pop him in a carrier and whisk him to the vets. To be honest i'd also try find a home for him it doesn't sound like his owner would miss him. Tis a hard life for a stray and winter is coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 rose of jericho

He needs to be blood tested for FIV (Cat AIDS) and FeLV (Feline Leukaemia).
    The former looks likely to me...and it's not trasmitted to humans although is the cat equivalent to Human AIDS.

What symptoms make u think it is cat aids?

k guys, some more news, 1st of all, I found it's owner, she wasn't home(I went over 2 twice today, went over again 5 mins ago), all the neighborhood knows that cat, everyone I asked about the cat replied with: "that crying cat with a "wing"?" I said yes, they replied that, that cat is quite old, around 17 years(do cats really live 17 years???), so anyways, I also talked to my friend who had many cats and about scatching he said that when cats have big claws, they usually wear them out by scatching them, I checked this one's and yea they are pretty big, the rear ones aren't, so, that must be it, also neighbors told me, the owner had that cat at the vets, I don't know what the vet said(I haven't spoken to the owner yet), well they also said that the neighbor loves this cat very much and takes good care of it(dunno), another thing, I found out that the owner's father has just passed away, so that's why she probably wasn't at home? and the cat got bored or something and left. Bought it wiskas today, it ate some of it :), I brought it another one now, holefully it will eat it overnight.(it's kinda very thin, I touched it's spine and it's all bones)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Dunno.
    If it was me I'd get a pair of gloves on and see if thats matted hair or not.

why the cats nails are so long I havent a clue,cats usually scratch at wooden poles or whatever they can find to control the length of their nails to some extent.

If its eating keep feeding it. The fact thats its eating is good.
    If it is mange then its not too bad at the mo.

Maybe some evening when shes out bring it to the blue cross if your so worried.
    Or tell her your bringing one of your cats,or your ma's cat,and you were wondering under her current circumstances if you could do her a favour and bring hers along for a check up since your going.

• Advertisement

Hey, if there is an owner then speak with him/her first before ddoing drastic things behind his/her back.

The OP has said that the cat has been at the vet recently, it is a very old cat, its owner loves it very much etc etc.

I'd be pretty pissed off if someone started carting my cat off to the vet without consulting me first. How do you know if the cat has not being treated for something already?

Speak with the owner about it and don't jump to conclusions that the cat is not being looked after.

k guys, more good news :)

I just talked and brought "scamp"(that's the cat's name, I called him "Pegasus" because of that wing like thing on it's side lol) to his owner, she turned out to be a very nice lady(about 23-25 years old), told me that the cat is 14, and has plenty of food and has another friend cat(black) to play with... they just have a flip-flop door, and he ran away.

that "thing" on his side just turned out to be dried hair(lol) my father cut it carefully off(he is a doctor, so don't worry he wasn't hurt/harmed), so he looks much better now :)

so guys, good end :) now scampy can come over anytime, at least we know that he has a home and we can return him to it's owner anytime.

Thank you for all your advices and support :)

phew, I'm very happy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Great news, i'm sure he feels much better with all that hair removed.

Advertisement