Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plastering ceiling 15x15ft or refurbishment advice needed,price?

Options
  • 31-08-2005 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

whats the average price for plastering ceiling 15ftx15 ,using plasterboard.i have ceiling half the plaster is taken down on 1 side,i want it refurbished with plasterbord to match in with existing plaster.plasterer gave me price ,he says if i take down old plaster he will put on new ceiling,he wont refurbish it,could i get some1 to refurbish it put in plasterbord to link in with old ceiling.how much wud it cost.plaster depth is 1inch and a quarter. if i think its cheaper ill just put in new ceiling,can i get ceiling plasterbord that has built in sound insulation?what wud be a reasonable price to put in a newplasterboard celing ..or refurbish old ceiling.i would appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi gamer,

The most cost efficient way is to remove the remainder and install a complete new ceiling.

You can use high density insulation between the ceiling joists to reduce noise.

The old ceiling you describe by thickness sounds like an old lath and plaster system, usually lime plaster so you can take any figure you get for new ceiling and multiply by up to 4 to restore the ceiling.

Depending on your location I may be able to recommend a "Real Tradesman" for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I'd go with Pete on this one...take down old ceiling yourself, get a few sheets of plasterboard and a few sheets of insulation. Stick the insulation up between the joists and then screw up the plasterboard yourself. No big job if two people do it. Then get in a plasterer to skim it for you. Save some money and get a nice clean job.

I'd say skim it yourself but it takes a while to get used to it! Not sure what price ya'd get for a ceiling that size...would only take a few hours from start to finish to do the full job.

Farlz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

ok, ill forget about refurbishment,,what type of insulation wud be recommended to use in between the joists ontop of plasterboard ,for ceiling.old ceiling is old 60 years plus at least,how much does insulation cost per meter or for an 8x4 sheet.i,d like sound insulation .

Advertisement