Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

August 31st 2005 Thunderstorms

Options
  • 31-08-2005 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭

Clones for past 3 hours, Shannon for past 2 and Casement reporting thunder.

More seem to be flaring up.

Any on the ground reports?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

in Liemrick city we have been getting thunder for the last hour every 10-15 seconds, the floorboards are shaking with the vibrations from the thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Yeah this is crazy alright , everytime we get a clap of thunder my bb goes. Just there Everything shut off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭gary_s

You can monitor the thunderstorms' progress at http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rsfloc.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Yep here in clones we're getting battered by a thunder storm since early this morning. i think it's fried my modem :(

How longer more will they last, can airplanes land ok in this weather cause my dad is due home 16.25 in to shannon from the uk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

WDK wrote:
    Yeah this is crazy alright , everytime we get a clap of thunder my bb goes. Just there Everything shut off.

have taken two total power hits here. using an extremely scientific method (counting the seconds between lightning and thunder) the nearest strike i noticed was seven miles away from me.

I have seen two flashes , and had one brief power cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Had one just right over head, the building shook like crazy, our server shut off, some pcs restarted, phone lines are down. Bloody annoying!
    (Raheen)

Nothing here in this part of the East coast yet
    Though it is very warm hazy and sticky.

*edit* looks like I'm going to miss this

Looks very severe in Ulster and north Leinster.

And down towards Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Nothing in the south east yet, but its dark and hazey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Wow, one HELL of a storm in the south of england right now.

http://www.isleofwightweather.co.uk/live_storm_data.htm

I'm not expecting much from now on except in mid and East Ulster and maybe north leinster as thats where all the strong activity is moving both northwards and eastwards.
    Theres very little activity south of there except for the remenants of a storm in the south midlands and it doesnt appear to be showing sferics, ie no lightning.
    That doesnt mean there isnt any.

It's very dull here and we've had some light rain and while it's muggy, the conditions for a great thunderstorm are not there now.

Good call by Met Éireann last night and this morning by the way.
    It's exactly as they forecast(though probably more intense for a while in the afternoon than they might have thought)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

I saw two, possibly three, very, very distant flashes of lightning roughly to the north/northeast this afternoon about 4.30/5 o' clock here in Portlaoise. At the time the sky here was pretty dark and thundery looking but all we were getting here was a kind of drizzly rain. The lightning I saw was well off in the distance and I think that's about as exciting as it got here this afternoon! :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭mike2084

Looks like I was very lucky and nothing came down this way. Which is just as well as I hate the things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

This is my first post in 2 weeks thanks to the fact that leaving a phone line plugged into a computer is not a very good idea. As well as my own, a neighbours modem was also fried. Replaced mine and theirs on Monday evening. Another 2 neighbours' phones and their sockets exploded too. A fourth neighbour was without power for almost 24 hours and his Chorus TV was wiped out. Our own earth switch tripped but electricity was fine. Storm lasted 30 minutes.

Most damage we ever got in a storm ever. LOL the day before I said this
    Havent seen lightning though this month. Unlike August 2000...
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Unlucky you!

And as your previous post confirmed - don't be asking for trouble, eh??? :D !!!

Advertisement