Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protecting wooden doors without changing colour and avoiding a varnished look

Options
  • 30-08-2005 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've just spent a small fortune getting white oak doors for my house. At the moment they're hanging untreated and I know I have to do something to protect them. Problem is I love the way they look in their raw state. Anyone know if there is a product that will protect them without changing the colour and also not make them too shiney?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

the best product i know of for this is tung oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,434 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Any oil finish such as tung oil, or Danish Oil will darken it slightly. Not much, but a bit. I suppose it depends on what kind of wear and abuse they might get (i.e. kids etc.) If you want to retain the natural look, you could try just a simple soft wax finish. If it's going to get any abuse, a clear polyurethane might be your best bet. Bear in mind that Oak will naturally darken slightly with age anyway over the years.

Advertisement