Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closed nature of sports clubs in Waterford

Options
  • 30-08-2005 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Here's a little rant about sports clubs in Waterford.

Ive found when looking to join some sports clubs in Waterford that theres very little opportunity for people who are in their twenties to start new sports.

Take GAA clubs for example, you either start when you're 10 or not at all. Surely it'd be in all clubs best interests to have as many active members as possible?

Take Dublin for example, I know someone who is high up in one of the Gaelic clubs there and they have 85 teams!! That ranges from senior team to under 8's, and also the drinking team.. they dont train much needless to say and are there for the craic only. On the other hand the senior team trains 3 nights a week and takes it very seriously.

Waterford sports clubs seem to be a closed shop.. the members know each other and are reluctant to see new adult members come into the setup.

For example, can anyone tell me of a Waterford based GAA club that advertises or even encourages adult members that never played before to join?

For tennis and badminton clubs, I know there are waiting lists for people to join, but a low percentage of the membership is actually actively taking part.

Take the sticky thread for Clubs and societies info in Waterford.. surely there should be more than 2 or 3 sporting or activity based things for people to do in the city?... without having joined when you were 9 years old!

Anybody agree with me? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

I definitely agree with that comment, even the football/soccer clubs are hard to get into unless you know somebody in the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

A waiting list for Badminton... I was thinking of joining that this year but if there's a waitin list why bother I think we should set up our own club

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Definitely agree. Soccer and GAA are closed shops unless you're into them before the age of 10, preferaby earlier.

I wouldn't have thought that Badminton would be that bad, or things like Snooker, Orienteering, or other things that people take up at all stages in life.

The GAA, in particular, are a disgrace for that though. They operate like a cult, or at least used to, for the privileged few who knew how they were going to spend their time at the age of 21 by the age of 10!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

trishw78 wrote:
    A waiting list for Badminton... I was thinking of joining that this year but if there's a waitin list why bother I think we should set up our own club

Theres lots of badminton clubs, I was only talking about the one I know about. Maybe you'll be lucky! Its still worth trying.

merlante wrote:
    Definitely agree. Soccer and GAA are closed shops unless you're into them before the age of 10, preferaby earlier.

I wouldn't have thought that Badminton would be that bad, or things like Snooker, Orienteering, or other things that people take up at all stages in life.

The GAA, in particular, are a disgrace for that though. They operate like a cult, or at least used to, for the privileged few who knew how they were going to spend their time at the age of 21 by the age of 10!

Lets have a root around and find a GAA club near enough to the city that takes newbies in. Im 24, and Id like to play in the 7th Division useless players football league, just for the craic.. I wonder would anyone take me! Im sure theres a few people on boards that wouldnt mind a match once a week?

If anyone here can find a gaelic football club that takes new people on, let us know.. maybe 3 or 4 of us could turn up then. I'll have a good look and see if any clubs take newbies.

• Advertisement

And so endeth the plea to all the Waterford based boards people to tell us about the sports clubs they are involved in... Why?

Because hardley anyone bothered!

Kinda proves my point dosnt it.. Newbies not that welcome.

Lock 'er up there Mike... I think we're done here! Its a pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i'm not involved in any, hence the lack of reply

Mossy Monk wrote:
    i'm not involved in any, hence the lack of reply

Ah yeah, I didnt mean everyone had to reply regardless lol :D But given the number of Waterford based boards people here, ya gotta say that more than 5 or 6 would be members of some sort of sports club.

I just firmly believe that people like their clubs as they are, closed groups, and that new people are just hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I was just thinkin what about the Waterford Crystal sports centre or the Regional sports centre...

I saw a notice in the ESB shop for one of Japanese Martial arts club can't remember the details it's where you go to pay your ESB Bill... Alternatively keep an eye out in the Waterford Toaday or the other News papers,

Wasn't the Evening/Night Courses open night on for WIT Last night I know it's a bit late but you can usually you can still join up for acouple of weeks after...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

The Dunmore Badminton Club at the Brasscock Church Hall near the Woodlands Hotel are looking for new members :D

• Advertisement

deisemum wrote:
    The Dunmore Badminton Club at the Brasscock Church Hall near the Woodlands Hotel are looking for new members :D

Cool! See.. We're gettin there now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

The Dunmore Badminton Club welcomes everyone from beginners who only want to play for fun as well as experienced division 1 players who are interested in competing, Wednesday is club night. The club organises social nights as well.

Advertisement