Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Web design setups

• 10-11-1998 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi,

just wondering what people use as their web design setups - i.e. when you have to do up a new site what are the tools you use. My current setup is:

HTML editor:
    Allaire Homesite 3.0 or notepad/vi.
    HS 3.0 (4's out now) excellent and soon got me hooked.

Imaging
    Microsoft Image Composer
    Paintshop Pro 4.0
    Crystal 3d
    Microstation 5 CAD

Database/CGI:
    Perl 5.0 with cgi-lib.pl. Anyone who uses informix might have found problems connecting via perl, but I wrote a gizmo sqlproc in c that makes the whole process a snap. For other databases I just use the standard CPAN libraries.

Java:
    Notepad and jdk though I'm messing with JBuilder and it looks ok. I use the swing set for the UI.

I'm and engineer not a programmer, so I'd be interested in other peoples set-ups. In particular has anyone tried Cold Fusion and what do they think?

Cheers!

Mark.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Hi Mark -

Seem to be using much the same things, but I don't have that cgi-lib.pl thingy, must grab it from somewhere because it sounds cool.

For imaging I use -

PaintShopPro 4.12
    CorelDRAW! 7
    CorelPHOTOPAINT! 7
    CorelDREAM3D! 7
    CorelOCRTRACE! 7
    (handy tool for making vectors from bitmaps)

HomeSite 3.0 is great alright, F6 rules.

I still resort to writing some CGI in C [even had a taste of it this morning, wooo!] on one of my systems (there's no dang PERL binary for it, HPUX 10.10 and too lazy to compile it :-)). PERL is much easier to code though.

What about this DreamCaster thing I hear them on about on the IIA Webmaster list - ever seen that? I tried getting it one day but no patience!

John.
    --

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

I think I'll have to add my 2 bytes here. If any of you are programing cgi on a windows platform, ISAPI rocks. I've been using it for the last 4 weeks, and although its a little wierd to start with, you can really through stuff together very quickly, and it interfaces with access+SQL server very quickly. Between ASP and ISAPI, I'm a happy backend programmer now :)

Dan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Boba Fett

I like Photoshop 5 ,Alien Skin Eye Candy (for luvverly bevel effects ,chrome ,glass etc.) ,Adobe Dimensions for 3D & HTML editor has to be HotDog Pro - fab interface that has it's own built-in browser so you can see exactly how your page looks while you're designing it.
    ' Itty bitty brains - Great big guns.'

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Just recently got the full version of PSP5.0 and the only difference from that and Photoshop is very little. The only thing I miss is the selection brush that you can apply by painting it on (can't find one in PSP).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Quez

Sorry... i too have to throw in my 2cents -

I use psp5 & photoshp5 for graphics, flash 3 for animations (ive just started with this) - homesite for html - and notepad / jdk for java (ive just started with this too)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

And my 0.02 punts worth...

I use Photoshop 5, PSP5, 3D Studio Max, Corel Xara and Bryce 3D for images;

Editpad and occasionally HotDog 4 for HTML;

Stephen Le Hunte's wonderful HTML Reference Lib 4.0 for keeping my sanity;

JBuilder for Java... and for CGI, all sorts of stuff. Mainly write in Pascal, then use P2C to convert it to C... or on a windows server, use Delphi and ODBC to link to Access

And naturally, Apache as a webserver ^_^

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

My turn...
    There's only one thing you need...

NOTEPAD!!!

(and Corel Photopaint 4 for images).

And that's what got me 3 Shamrocks from Doras :)

Dav

PS:
    I do a bit with JBuilder in college - not too shabby. Haven't done any CGI, but I can write C/C++ and PASCAL.

What is PERL like? (any comparison to the above?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Si

I know this is kinda old - but I'm in work and I'm bored.

I use

For Html:
    Dreamweaver 2
    Homesite 4
    EditPlus 1.2 (Great Little Program)

For Graphics:
    Macromedia FreeHand 8
    Macromedia Fireworks
    but I mainly use - Photoshop 4/5 (depends what system I'm using)
    Loads of Plugins

Vector Animation:
    Macromedia Director 7
    Macromedia Flash 3

Database
    I develop mostly in ASP or maybe Cold Fusion
    so I write that stuff in EditPlus 1.2. Visual Studio 6.0 (VB 6 and Visual Interdev 6.0 especially) is a great program for large projects - but you have to use Frontpage extensions, which suck.

I use Access databases. Large sites I use SQL server 7.0.

I think thats it..

Oh yeah - for FTP I use BulletProof FTP or WS_FTP.

So there you go.

Si.
    aka Phoebus. (but its Si from now on...)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

my stuff...

Notepad for HTML (sometimes Claris Homepage but I don't like it much)

Paint Shop Pro for images, my brother uses 3dMax to draw a few and every now and then I whip out the good ol' Total Cad (from cover CD, and bloody excellent it is too!)

Don't have a clue about CGI/Perl.. Actually, which webspace providers let you use CGI scripts? Fortunecity and Xoom make you only use the ones they provide and they're crap...

Notepad (along with copy and paste from the Javascript archive) for Javascript smile.gif Have to learn how to write my own stuff in this, but so far there are enough scripts ready for download to keep me happy.

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Bracken

You can get 5MB and your own cgi-bin at http://www.vr9.com but it's down at the moment. There aren't any pop-up banners, which is nice but you do have to embed a small banner somewhere on each page.
    They're moving servers at the moment so try them in a week or two.

http://www.hypermart.net
    I haven't tried these guys yet but they do give you your own cgi-bin.

Back to the topic:
    I use Notepad for the HTML, PSP for graphics, and I test my CGI's with Apache under Linux. Must get into web-based databases sometime.

Bracken

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Just for all those people using notepad with a whole site, if small changes or replacements need to be made to every page in the site.. i'd recommend using a little know notepad variant called "Texturiser" .. basically with this you can do find/replace/saves/headers with multiple files.. and it has several features that before i used it . had to open (ughh) wordpad or worse for. Well worth a look anyway (oh its tiny as well..!)

For design though ..
    Corel Suite 7 is the **** smile.gif
    perfect for imagemaps/logos/embedded graphics etc.

Now for my plug: hehe
    http://www.compapp.dcu.ie/~kbyrne.ca2

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

www.digitalspace.net
    full Tech Support, Unlimited E-mail Aliases, Unlimited Pop3 accounts, Unlimited Mailing Lists, Unlimited Autoresponders, 2 Ftp accounts, 2 Sub-Domains, nice Web Page Stats tool things, FrontPage Support (euck), CGI-Bin and shell access for 24$ a year (only 5 mb tho) u can get custom stuff like upgrade the space etc. - Good deal!

www.live365.com
    100mb of space free
    free shoutcast streaming

but they get to _sell_ anything u have up if they want (as far as i can see from the terms and conditions thats the catch)

as far as building the damn thing i use dreamweaver 2 (as long as u dont overdo the annoying dhtml etc) and photoshop 5 for graphics (3ds MAX if i had more space) and im downloading homesite at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭shank

Notepad............... are you f'kin mad, I mean respect an all for spending so much time an all learning code but ffs, the time it takes just isn't worth it. Complex tables seem to be the flavour atm, this in notepad is an utter bit[h. I know people don't like FP because of it's bizzare code, but with a prog like dreamweaver it keeps resonably clean code, if you are a complete text head go for something like homesite which is pretty nice.

bstep@tinet.ie
    news.quake.ie

i agree comletely, dreamweaver makes good code, and its definetly going to be easier to fix it instead of writing from scratch.

woohooo im borg! cheeky.gif

Advertisement