Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blanchardstown IT - Worst College Going

Options
  • 30-08-2005 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

Probably should have posted this earlier but god help anyone who is going to Blanchardstown IT as a first year. Lifeless would be a compliment to the place.

I've been to three different colleges (DCU, Carlow IT and Blanch) doing different courses and Blanchardstown is by far the most boring. I've also attended events in places like Waterford, Killybegs and Sligo (I like to get around!) and all of them have made Blanchardstown look like a morgue.

I'd say the problem is that most of the students live at home, so very few are willing to go for a few pints during the day, or even at night for that matter. For learning the place is grand, and I suppose that is what you go to college for, but in social terms its a definite non-starter.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Maynooth

Is Blanch IT near the village? Never really heard much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

About a half hour's walk. Went there for three years but I've transferred to Sligo now.

Would have to agree with the OP, its not the most exciting of places.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

You should have been there the first year it was opened! We were in portakabins and had no internet connection til nearly christmas!
    I agree it's in a dreadful location. Blanch village itself is a kip and not exactly student friendly.

At least the lecturers were good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 noLoner

Triton since you have been to different colleges doing different courses could you help :cool: ?

I did IT in 2003/2004, all was good except Maths :eek: , it was just a killer harder than anything I had ever done :o .

Now researching doing a course in GMIT, just wondering how much it's gonna cost me to do GA442, any1 do a year in NUIG and leave to do a course in an IT? If so whats it gonna cost me? :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭AndyWarhol

Interesting somewhat related article about poor performing academic institutions in the UK.

Daily Telegraph, 22/09/2005

The bit I found interesting was that

"A table of the percentage of first-year students expected to graduate shows that universities with the highest graduation rates are largely those that are most academically eminent.

Without exception, however, those at the bottom of the table are the least academically selective, undertake little research and have expanded fastest to meet the Government's aim of "widening participation".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Teller

How many students are in Blanch IT?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

About 2,000 if even that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

eth0_ wrote:
    You should have been there the first year it was opened! We were in portakabins and had no internet connection til nearly christmas!
    I agree it's in a dreadful location. Blanch village itself is a kip and not exactly student friendly.

At least the lecturers were good.

What are you talking about? Blanch village is very clean! It's a lovely village!

Granted it's not student friendly, and the college isn't the most exciting place in the world, and it's located on top of a windy mountain, but Blanch village is not a kip whatsoever. Dunno what you're basing that one on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭iggyman

i went to the opening day today..in blanch i.t..but i didnt look aroungd the labs i just stayed in the canteen wit me mates which was very nice..it is very quiet..but i suppose then its easier to study and do work..im thinkin of going there to do an engineering course in computers..any one have any suggestions for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭stephenoleary

Well if their basketball team is anything to go by, stay away. We hockeyed them by 40 points last week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Triton

iggyman wrote:
    i went to the opening day today..in blanch i.t..but i didnt look aroungd the labs i just stayed in the canteen wit me mates which was very nice..it is very quiet..but i suppose then its easier to study and do work..im thinkin of going there to do an engineering course in computers..any one have any suggestions for me?

Yep, go somewhere else that won't bore you to death. Take it from someone who went there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Sorry but Blanchardstown is boring and rough. I went to college there and worked in Blanch for nearly 3 years and lived in the apartments beside Brady's so I do know what i'm talking about.

My main beef with the college was that there is *NOTHING* to do. Unless you have a car, you're stuck there for the day, you have to eat in the overpriced awful canteen unless you want to take the lovely walk up to 'da center' or risk your life going to the pub/chipper/shop in Corduff.

I did think the lecturers were good, particularly richard gallery who I had for theoretical physics and digital electronics.

If i had the choice again I would have gone to DIT Aungier St!

well i wish i could do that..but there are no computer/electronic engineering courses that ill be able to get into in any other college without doing preliminary courses etc..which is very expensive and a waste of time..so i kinda have to go there..and in anyway i dont expect any college to be lively and exciting..ill get enough enjoyment when i come home to me mates and have a better laugh..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

http://www.pwu-ca.edu/

ye could always try her :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭TrickyRicky

there's an IT in Blanchardstown??!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Zeuz

BIT is one of the only place in Dublin offering the course i wanna do but know my mind is in Lingo

Shoudl i not go now is it Actually that Bad????!??!?! I am doing my Leaivng this year and thats were i was thinking of going cuz i have a car so easy for me to drive there??

Man Guys i dont liek reading this thred what do you all think?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Zeuz wrote:
    BIT is one of the only place in Dublin offering the course i wanna do but know my mind is in Lingo

Shoudl i not go now is it Actually that Bad????!??!?! I am doing my Leaivng this year and thats were i was thinking of going cuz i have a car so easy for me to drive there??

Man Guys i dont liek reading this thred what do you all think?
    I for one think you're failing English in the Leaving Cert.

out of curiosity zeus what course are you doing in b.i.t..im lookin to do the new 5 year computer engineering course...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Zeuz

iggyman wrote:
    out of curiosity zeus what course are you doing in b.i.t..im lookin to do the new 5 year computer engineering course...

I am looking to do http://www.itb.ie/site/courses/bn104.htm

and in the unlikely event of me not passing 6 subjects i can go through this way http://www.itb.ie/site/courses/bn013.htm and it leads to the same place in the end.

As for my english...: Achilles :

lol, sorry i was not in the mood to type properly, I was in a rush and couldn't care less if my english was bad or not.

But thanks for pointing it out, I will know for the fututr to check my spelling and gramma. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Zeuz wrote:
    As for my english...: Achilles :

lol, sorry i was not in the mood to type properly, I was in a rush and couldn't care less if my english was bad or not.

But thanks for pointing it out, I will know for the fututr to check my spelling and gramma. :)

Haw haw! Most of the newer lecturers in my college are Blanchardstown IT graduates... no wonder nobody's learning anything and having a lot of trouble with one of them in particular, crazy lack of social life must have turned her into a 'read from the sheet don't answer questions properly' drone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement