Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning Lidl Laptop (Targa) for Repair - experience?

Options
  • 30-08-2005 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭

After multiple problems with my Targa laptop purchased from Lidl ~10 months ago (failure of Wireless card - can't pick up WLANs; Battery depletion - only runs from mains plug; USD port failure), I have decided to return it to Lidl to be repaired as its under 3 years warrenty.

I was wondering if anyone has done this before and could provide some info like:

how long did it take?
    what needed to be fixed?
    were you satisfied with repairs?
    any costs?
    anything else?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

no experience with lidl/targa laptops but with regards to the battery, most laptop manufacturers that ive seen only give a 6-months warranty on batteries, so you may actually have to purchase a new battery, unless targa operate a different policy.

i have only sent laptop to the uk, but turnaround times on these have usually been about 2-3 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Robin1982

Hey,

Just an update here. In November the hard drive completely crashed, just to add it into the mix! Although I had most files backed up, I did lose some important recent files which was annoying.

Anyways, called Targa Service Line, logged all the laptop problems (they were surprised there were so many) and since I couldn't do any of the testing nonsense (since the laptop didn't work full stop), they told me that it would be picked up to be sent back to the Fatherland to be repaired.

Important, although the battery warranty was for only 6 months, the guy on the phone told me it was Targa's policy that the battery should work without mains power (for at least a couple of mins or so) for up to 15 months after purchase - since my laptop is only a year old now, I think Targa will replace this for me too for free.

What happens? No-show by the pickup guys, another couple of phone calls later (including having to log all the problems again) and its picked up 3 days later. So currently the laptop is in Germany (I hope - plus its over the Xmas period so the 10 working day repair turnaround will most likely be a month) and i'm waiting to get it back, hoping for a brand new model.

Fingers crossed...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

You should be fine my mate had the same problems like yourself and he was given a brand new targa laptop. Their customer service is actually quite good like.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Had a Power supply replaced.

Since the battery and Card are swappable items then they may ship those to you. Try the card in another laptop/ try another card in yours to rule out driver problems, otherwise any working replacement card would just have the same problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Robin1982

Called Targa, apparantly laptop fixed Dec 23rd (week after collection) - new hard disk, new battery, new wireless card, new back panel

on the way back to me now they said (although bad weather is slowing things down)

I guess I'll expect it next week

Pretty good service overall...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Let us know how you get on. Good to know what the returns are like with these.

Advertisement