Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

500 homeless students in maynooth

Options
  • 30-08-2005 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭

apparently, according to the accomodation office there's 500 students that can't find rooms this year. isn't that madness? is there way more first years this year or something??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Persiula

Certainly is madness, surely there couldn't be that much of an increase in just one year unless maybe postgraduate numbers jumped! Did that news come directly from the college or is it just a rumour I wonder...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Perhaps these students are just particularly bad at finding houses?
    Luckily for me I got campus ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I think part of the problem is more students want houses this year than usual as opposed to digs. Also the trend in Maynooth in general for about the past 3 years or so has been for families moving back into houses that were generally let to students.

Also everyone we've had coming to look at rooms (we do digs) hasn't wanted to walk more than 5 minutes so there are actually a lot of rooms still available, I'm sure they'll fill up as people realise that walking 15 mins to college actually isn't the end of the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

When is NUIM opening for new term?

Im in a house at the mo, there are 5 of us. There are 5 bedrooms, 2 double, two single and one twin. Its a big enough house. Cluainn Aoibhinn so its just over 5 mins to south campus. There is 1 bathroom (thats its downfall) with electric shower. Big kitchen and big living room. The landlord is really sound, hardly ever calls over and is really laid back. We will all be moving out on the 18th of Sept. Its a sunday. If anyone knows anyone that is looking pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭*Roisin*

I found it easy to get accomodation, but that was mostly luck. I found an ad for the perfect house just 5 minutes after it went up on daft so nabbed it.
    In the end it turned out I'd gotten campus, so didn't need it. Still though, I was really lucky because I didn't even need to visit Maynooth to get sorted.

But I've heard stories from loads of my friends going into 1st year that they can't get a place ANYWHERE. They've been up looking for the last few days. Also they're must be more students this year, because we were told all 1st year usually get campus, but this year was unprecedented and many people didn't. Could have something to do with the fact that there's more openings for psych students.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

*Roisin* wrote:
    we were told all 1st year usually get campus

Not true. We've had loads of people who were in digs cause they didn't get campus, also lots of their friends each year didn't get it. I know one reason demand for campus might be higher this year is cause more people with 500+ are going to Maynooth this year than any other year. They automatically get campus if they want it, even if they already live in Maynooth with their families normally!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭*Roisin*

It may not be true then, but that's what the reps who came to our school told us. And I know they said that to alot of other schools as well. Even when my mother rang to get the application form at Xmas she was told not to bother even sending it back in until July, because I was 99% garunteed to get it. I sent it in in July like I was told...and then found out I was at the bottom of the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

yeh what Roisin said s true. Our rep said the exact same thing.

This is the official line, there are 100 extra students going into 1st year and there have been 120 people who got 500+ points who applied for campus so that only leaves about 240 places left for normal applicants.

Anyway, I`m having a hell of alot of trouble finding a place to stay, all the houses seem to be taken and any that come up on offer are snapped up pretty much straight away. Hopefully I can get some self catering tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭jimmidy_cricket

Whats the going rate these days for rent? Cuz I might know of a house with 4 bedrooms up for grabs but it might be a bit steep for students. Will have to ask my boss what the rate is but what do students pay for rent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Persiula

solice wrote:

Well for first years the 12th for all others the 19th at least I think thats right, the full year's academic calender is on www.nuim.ie if

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Lilly81

Whats the going rate these days for rent? Cuz I might know of a house with 4 bedrooms up for grabs but it might be a bit steep for students. Will have to ask my boss what the rate is but what do students pay for rent?

it really does vary. one year i paid 288 a month, the year after i paid 360 a month. it depends really.

and yes that source about the 500+ students being homeless did come straight from the college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Smiley20

is this place free then...

Advertisement