Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

samaritans volunteer

Options
  • 29-08-2005 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hey, just wondering if anyone here has volunteered with the samaritans? what was it like, just would like to know anyones experiences as i have been considering it for some time now.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

moved to Humanities
    B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

I will but I have to sort out my own head first. They came to our school to give us a talk about it. You can volunteer as soon as you're 17. Make sure you watch the video to have an idea of what it's like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Just make sure that you have a good head going into it... I'm told it can be emotionally draining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 jazzbandit

Ive never worked with the samaritans,
    However, when i was a student in the UK I worked on a helpline for teenagers in crisis. It was emotionally draining at the start, I have to say. However, you just get used to these things. I heard some terrible stuff, but eventually I just got used to it. I could switch off when i left work. It just happens. Now I'm a doctor, and I do exactly the same when I see or hear nasty stuff at work. Most people learn to cope. Some don't. If you're one of those who dont, then you just have to be big enough to admit it, and walk away, becasue a stressed counsellor is no use to a stressed caller.

However, I hope it all goes well, and I'll happily post some more info about do's and dont's on the forum if you decide to start vountering.

All the best,

The jazz man

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement